Skip to main content

Eating off the Floor

At this moment, you can literally eat off my kitchen floor (for the next 10 minutes anyway, until the kids get off the bus!). This is a rare occurrence in my house, as the Swiffer Wetjet usually has to suffice. But ma-in-law is coming and let me tell you, a nice ma-in-law elicits energy like a mean one never can! Somehow the pressure is intense, to prove to the sweetest of women that you have indeed carried on the torch and are taking care of her beloved son in the most doting manner possible (at least while she's actually watching).

It doesn't seem to go like that for those who have ma-in-laws of the judgmental variety. I suppose I could see myself smirking at the horror of a ma-in-law who didn't think I was caring for her precious as well as she did and keeping the effort to a minimum just for the value of the entertainment. But I don't have that problem. Muh Main Man's mother is the most kind hearted and certainly doesn't want me to go to any trouble on her account. Which of course causes me to go into a frenzy of doing the hand-and-knees thing with an actual mop bucket and ammonia in all the corners that haven't seen proper water action all winter. So if you want to see it, you'd better get here quick. It won't last long.

Comments

Melanie said…
You are fortunate, indeed! Your ma-in-law is a very sweet woman! And, she always had a spotless house! ;)
Unknown said…
Oh my! I've never gotten down on my hands and knees to mop our floors. What kinda boot camp are you running over there?
Mary Ellen said…
And the best part is you know she'd do the same for you! She is one incredibly sweet woman and I know she's dying to spend some time with all of you, is pa-in-law coming too? Enjoy your clean house and your company.

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...