Skip to main content

Old Folks Home

It seems we're all feeling our age around here--

It started with the dog: She keeps getting me up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

A sign I'm getting older: It appears I'm going to have to get my hair colored the next time I visit the stylist. And not just for highlights either.

A sign Muh Main Man's getting older: He keeps pulling muscles. First it was his knee hurting, now it's his shoulder. Luckily he has five years on me.

A sign Brainy Boy is getting older: He was embarrassed to wear the red shirt that said "Coolissimo" across the front. Last week he didn't care that he was wearing high waters.

A sign Little Chic is getting older: While watching American Idol, she said "Mom, I need a better name because when they announce my name as the American Idol winner, my name is not going to sound very cool." I told her that she could change her name as long as she changes it to "Chicken Butt." She's sticking with the one I gave her.

Comments

Unknown said…
Signs of aging are all around. I want to think I'm growing old gracefully. Now bring on the hair color and all the other things I need more like WANT. :o) Nice post! And tell that Little Chic that America will absolutely adore her and embrace her name as well!
Mary Ellen said…
Nothing like a sarcastic Mother!!! Glad I'm not the only one who uses sarcastic humor on her kids.... "-)

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...