Skip to main content

Where, O Where Will I Ever Find You?!

In an attempt to require a bit more responsibility from my 'have-it-pretty-easy" children, I assigned an extra task for their weekly commission pay that they are getting. One of the new tasks is them taking turns unloading the dishwasher every day (I'm nice, so I take Sundays). I'm kicking myself for not doing this before. Not only have I gone 2 days without emptying the dishwasher, I've also been able to put off reloading it because I am waiting for them to get home from school (and we all know how I love to procrastinate). Another unexpected bonus is that I get to do a treasure hunt every evening while I'm trying to get dinner ready. "Now where would that pasta strainer be? O, yeah, of course it would be sitting right next to the cereal boxes!"

It is amazing to me that although my dear wee ones have been getting silverware, plates, cups and all sorts of other utensils from our kitchen cabinets for, oh, let's say the last 9 years, when it comes time to replace the clean item from the dishwasher, it's just a mystery as to where it should go.

The funniest thing was me trying to explain to Brainy Boy that we have two sets of silverware - an old set that dad and I had from back when we first got married, and a newer set, that actually still has all the pieces. It's not a huge deal, but generally I do separate the two sets so we eat from matching forks and spoons at the dinner table. As I tried to help him distinguish the two sets by observing that one has a flowered pattern and the other does not, he looked at me as though I were totally nutso, not getting it at all - kind of like "Uh, Ma, a fork's a fork." As you may have guessed, we've eaten dinner with an eclectic mix of utensils for the past two nights. I will say though, that both nights, my dishwasher has been empty by dinnertime without any reminder from me, so I'm not complaining.

Comments

Mary Ellen said…
Ain't it grand!?!?! It dawned on me a few weeks ago that M & K at ages 6 & 8 are plenty old enough to unload the dishwasher and they've been doing it ever since - woo hoo! Of all the household tasks that is the one I hate, no idea why, and they think it's fun - go figure! They've been picking up and putting away toys for years but I hadn't come up with other household tasks they could help with but now they are learning to do the dishes (M can load the dishwasher too) and that is another huge help. I highly believe in child labor...as long as I'm helping too and not sitting around watching soap opera's and eating bon-bons...as if!
Unknown said…
Way to go Jennifer!
Barb said…
Oh yes, I do remember those days. I'd insist the girls "help" me and then I'd have to ask myself if it was really worth it. Wait till they start helping with the laundry. Boy, that can get very interesting!

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...