Skip to main content

Newbie on the Job

I've gotten several calls in the past couple of weeks to substitute at the kids' school as a classroom aide. It hasn't worked out so far until today when I got called to go in from 11am to 2:30. Incidentally I was working in Little Chic's class and upon arrival, not only did I find out I was subbing for the aide, the two classroom teachers were out as well and there were subs for each of them. A day like that makes this perfectionist half tempted to pull my kids out and home school them myself.

The kids were actually well-behaved considering the lack of continuity but the main substitute teacher for the day - well - let's just say that apparently being a warm body is the main qualification to substitute teach. I speak loosely when I say "warm body" as she was quite elderly, she spoke so low that the kids could hardly hear a word she said and she had a whole collection of annoyed looks to use every time a student answered a question incorrectly. At one point, I honestly thought she was dozing atop her perch on the stool.

Now frankly, I'm not officially qualified to substitute teach for lack of a bachelor's degree, but I tell you, I had to hold myself back to keep from yanking the science lesson out of her hands and doing a proper job myself. I am positive that I could have piqued some nine-year-old interest in cumulus, stratus and cirrus clouds and had them remember the lesson for the day.

The scary thing is that this particular substitute has been in Little Chic's classroom quite a bit this year - I think I've discovered the reason that Little Chic has had no clue about how to do several of her homework assignments. I'm not sure I'm going to last long in this job - I may have to take over something if I spend much more time watching retired people who don't particularly like children get paid $100 a day for babysitting.

The most satisfying part of the day was when said substitute admonished a boy for not remembering their discussion about the metric system and totally confused the class by insisting that a kilometer is a much further distance than a mile. She didn't quite know what to say when I pointed out that a 5K race is only 3.1 miles.

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my goodness!!! I'm sorry to say this made me giggle, ok just a teensy weensy bit... In all honesty, it's not a laughing matter and I was hoping to read in hear how you rescued the class right back and you did just that. :o)
Mary Ellen said…
Where in the world is the teacher that she needs a substitute most of the time - they should look for a new teacher! When I was in 8th grade we had an elderly substitute, someone threw a booklet up into the paddle fan (who knows why) and it landed upside down between the ladies glasses and her face. It was awful but also hysterically funny.

Your last sentence was my favorite!
Rochelle said…
Somebody need to send her back to remedial math class!
Anonymous said…
Jennifer, I didn't know you started aiding, that is SOOO awesome! You should really say something to Caroline's teacher. Sometimes they hand pick their subs, I hope Mrs. Stevenson didn't! She would probably want to know!
~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,