Skip to main content

Contrary to Popular Opinion....

....we really did have a Thanksgiving celebration with some of my family. Indeed, I've been home a week without giving all the juicy details, but that's because I've been unpacking the eight over-the-weight limit bags we hauled back & forth, working at school and intending every day, yet failing to get my Christmas tree up.

So though I've kept you in desperate suspense up to this point, I assure you, I have lots to tell. I can't begin to describe how overdue I was to spend some family time with my own flesh & blood since I live so far in the nether regions away from them all. Bonuses always come with that sort of rare family get-together and this time was no exception.

First and foremost was my chance to meet my very first blog friend. Sort of. She's a friend of my sister's, she reads my blog, so wah-lah. Blog. Friend. There ya go. Since her name's the same as mine, you know she's gotta be cool. And she likes the same kind of TV shows as me--who knew two reality TV junkies could co-exist under one roof in a house that receives no television channels.?! We suffered together. And we TiVo'd at home simultaneously. In the spirit of things. Best of all, she brought me a bunch of loot from my man, Dave Ramsey, who we all know that I uh-dore. I even took the fleece blankie on the airplane with me, complete with his logo embroidered on the corner. I got all sorts of jealous looks, I did. It was either that or the other passengers thought I was stuffing a particularly plush airline blanket into my laptop case. That was probably it. Any-whoo, I have this secret plan to kidnap her as my BFF and to coerce her into doing the Amazing Race with me some day before I'm too old. I haven't completely hatched the plan yet, but I'm working on it.

Another side benefit of having Thanksgiving with far-off family is that you get to celebrate Christmas early. This was the year for descriptive monogrammed jackets. All I'll say is that Muh Main Man picked out his own snowmobile jacket and received it compliments of my ma. Does the logo say anything about him? I do think so. Little Sis gave me mine and I've worn it in sub-freezing weather even this very day.

One of our favorite days of our vacation was when my Uncle Dave came over with his family from Galvaston, TX. It was so cute to see the way Little Chic and Brooke took to Cousin Jon the way I remember all the nieces taking to our favorite uncle (his dad) when we were but giggling bitty girls. Jon followed in his dad's footsteps and endured the pestering in good-sport fashion.

All in all, we had a fantastic time at Mom and Ken's beautiful lakeside house, the weather cooperated, at least for the first half of the week, and we actually hated to go home when it was time. Could have been that we had to get up at 4am to catch our plane. Because we all know how I love those early mornings.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a BEAUTIFUL home. It looks sooo relaxing and comfy! I could just sit there and watch the water all day.....

LOVE that you had such a great visit. Your family sounds awesome and it is too bad you don't live closer, but it makes the visits SO much more meaningful!

~Sue
Rochelle said…
Glad you had a nice visit w/ your fam Jen. What a neat place to go & visit, but, alas, too bad it is sooo far from NY!
Amy B. said…
That's fine...Jen can be your new BFF :) At least I get to live near her and I can go visit Dave Ramsey's office anytime I like (although I never do) :)
Unknown said…
I think that I am going to have to be the one to kidnap you...not sure that your main man is going to let you go too easily... :)

Was so much fun to be with you! Can't wait until we can do it again!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,