Skip to main content

Vehicle Fit for a Prince

It has been about three years or so since Muh Main Man and I have made the eight mile trek to church in the same vehicle. Muh Main Man, as you well know, is a hero to the community and runs with the volunteer ambulance squad. He uses the possibility of getting a squad call as his reason for driving his own vehicle where 'ere we go. Funny thing is, if I want to ride along in his pick-up truck, he's just fine with that. He actually prefers it. He doesn't worry about any theoretical calls he might get as long as he's at the wheel of his own truck. The naked truth of the matter is....he hated my van. He said it's because it was always breaking down. I think it made him feel yuppy. And that was just too much for his redneck-wannabe ego. I made the comment to ma-in-law last night that with my new Explorer, I was willing to wager that we'd all be going to church all together, although I wasn't going suggest it myself.

I'll just say, I ain't been married to the same guy for 18 years fer nuthin. I've learned a thing or two about him along the way. Sure as shootin', this morning he was loading some cargo that we were taking to church into my SUV. I innocently queried as to why he wasn't putting the load into his own truck bed. He looked at me as if I had a third eye. "We're riding together to church." Oh, right...like we do every Sunday. I couldn't let it pass without mentioning that now that I have a vehicle worthy for "the Prince" to ride in, those emergency calls are going to have to get put on the back burner. And maybe I'm going to have to change his moniker on this blog again, like to "His Majesty" or maybe "Your Honor." Crazy that we all thought that hunk-a-junk was okay for me to ride in!

Comments

Truckin Teeds said…
Glad you finally can ride to church together as a family! :O) Hope you enjoy many happy times with your new set of wheels!
Unknown said…
You innocently queried? You are such a hoot!
Melanie said…
You are too funny!
Rochelle said…
Very funny Jen. It IS hard for me to imagine your Main Man riding in a mini-van!
Brandie said…
LOL! Enjoy your new vehicle and riding together with him =)

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...