Skip to main content

Tooth & Nail

Today brought all sorts of surprises, from the pain-free, second-installment of my root canal (which cost significantly less than expected) to the notice that pricey shoe orthotics are not going to be adequate for Brainy Boy's severely flat feet.

More than likely, he will be undergoing an implant procedure in his feet to provide support for his nonexistent arches. The hope is to eliminate the constant knee and ankle pain he has been suffering. It will prove to be a thrill I'm sure, as the procedure is quite short, but is followed by 2 weeks of casts on both legs. He's going to love that, since it will probably get him out of many a shower.

We will try to schedule it for Good Friday so he has 9 school-free days following the surgery. The bummer is that the doctor only does afternoon surgeries, so he'll be food & drink deprived from midnight the night before. Lucky for us, he's quite a trooper as long as his X-Box is involved in the distraction. Another smile-inducing item was that the orthotics we ordered cost only $475 rather than the anticipated $600 and we don't have to pay for the replacements after the surgery is done!

Comments

Anonymous said…
So, I guess he'll have to use a wheel chair? He might find that kind of cool...2 weeks! I'll definitely be thinking of you during that time!
Anonymous said…
oops...meant to add my name to that...~Jenn Jones
Barb said…
OK, the title of this post may be the best I've ever seen, Jen. I swear, how clever is that!

Poor guy. You know what? Doctors and nurses just whip out the "nothing to eat or drink after midnight" rule without thinking but when Rob had his surgery, we found out he could have food and drink up until 7 in the morning and his surgery was scheduled for 2 in the afternoon. So you should call them and double check that - that's way too long to go with anything to eat or drink.

Hope he does well with this - it surely doesn't sound like much fun, especially two casts.
PandaMom said…
Both legs? At the same time? Yikes. I will pray for your endurance now to be the great mommy that you already are and not go crazy in that time! ; )
Rochelle said…
Poor Eric. Will the surgery be at an outpatient center or at a hospital? In general a patient needs to be NPO (nothing by mouth) for 8 hrs. at the most before surgery, however, some anesthesia providers will be sticklers about patients not following instructions...so double check before you assume that 8 hrs is ok.
Unknown said…
Oh my, a double whammy with both of his feet at once. I'll be praying for Eric and you too, that sounds like a very long two weeks.
Mary Ellen said…
I'm sure you'll all be glad when that is over, but how great there is something they can do!
Laurie said…
Jen, seriously? Ben has the same flat-totally-flat-not-even-a-hint-of-an-arch feet! YOu need to fill me in on the details!

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...