Skip to main content

Read for the Record

Today the kids and I became famous. Well, not us as people, but we participated in a famous event at least. We went to the local baseball stadium to help set a world record. We are attempting to set a record for the most children reading the same book on the same day. The selection was The Little Engine That Could and we turned out with lots of others to hear our Senator, State Assemblywoman and several other local celebrities take turns reading the book aloud to those in the stadium. There is a higher purpose for the event than just setting a record, as the event is sponsored by Jumpstart on behalf of literacy. But honestly, we really went for something fun to do. We got free books, free lunch, free popsicle and to top it off, a caricature drawn by a childhood buddy of Hero Guy's. He goes by Bon Fed and he's quite the accomplished artist so it was a privilege to have a blast from the past captured for my kids. To book us out, Little Chic and I have our monthly book club tonight, the selection which we have not finished. Did I admit that? We were to read The Horse and His Boy and I protested having extra time to read, saying that we had more than time during the summer. The night has come, and we're not finished and I can only hope we're not the only ones in this boat. We're liking the story, though, so even after the spoiler tonight, we'll finish the whole book. Until something more inspiring comes along, that's what's going on in our neck of the woods. That will be tomorrow, when Brainy Boy sees the foot specialist. See you after toe inspection!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I saw them talking about that this morning on the Today show when I was taking a shower - very cool!

What is wrong with Eric's toe????

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...