Skip to main content

So Much Goin' On In So Little Time

I'm well aware that although we're alive and well, Blogdom has not kept you properly updated on all the comings and goings. And coming and going we've been.

For one thing, Brainy Boy shot his first deer this week. It was unplanned, downed from the back yard, but thrilling nonetheless. Or so I've been told. I have to say that I've not quite witnessed Muh Main Man be such a proud Papa. Not even on the birth-day of his own offspring. You'd-a-thunk Brainy Boy was proving his manhood. Apparently the guys thought he was. It was a button buck, so all the males in the household are feeling extra test-os-teroney. Although Little Chic has by far been the more enthusiastic of the hunting-champs-in-training, Brainy Boy has a newfound interest in the sport. We'll see how that goes when he spends hour upon cold hour in the tree without seeing anything. That's not generally down his alley. But we'll see.

As for my own whereabouts, I started subbing yesterday at one of the district schools and will be until Christmas break starts. I'm working in the school office and it's been really fun for a change, but enough to make me wonder what in the world I was thinking with Christmas fast approaching. I proudly report we've eaten a hot homemade meal every night after I've gotten home from work. Both days.

Little Chic had her holiday program at school for Tempo Tigers, the chorale that she joined this year. Attending her concerts is sometimes the teeniest bit stressful as she is very intense about everyone being very early and getting just exactly the right spot in which to see her the best. Once the show begins, though, it's all smiles. Well, all except for Brainy Boy who gets to watch for the second time in a day. Although her solo was a booming success, Muh Main Man was struggling with Musical-Picture-Taking-In-a -Dark-Auditorium 101, so you'll have to take our word on the awesomeness.

Little Chic and I are getting excited for a bus trip to NY City this Saturday and we're gonna see the City in all it's Christmas fabulous-ness. We're planning to see the big tree in Rockefeller Center, the awesome Toys R Us with the ferris wheel inside and we're gonna take a carriage ride in Central Park. Muh Main Man and Brainy Boy are so jealous of our excursion, that they have scheduled a competing trek into the Far North for a day of snowmobiling extreme.

So I bid you adieu while I act responsibly and take care of life for a few days. Or maybe a day. Well, at least an hour anyway.

Comments

Laura said…
WOW - tis the season to be rushed!

Congrats to your little man on the deer. We are not really hunters, but my FIL could relate to the proud father moment.

WOW - a solo...the concert looks like lots of fun.

Have a wonderful time in NYC. Be sure to visit the display windows of all the high end stores...they are amazing!

Merry Christmas!
Rochelle said…
Congrats to Brainy Boy on that fabulous looking specimen! :)

Looks like Lil Chic is quite comfortable up there on stageland!

Have a fab time in NYC...Lucky you!!!
Amy B. said…
I've always wanted to visit NYC at Christmastime. That is definitely on my "things to do before I die" list. So, one of these years we'll plan a trip. Has the hunting bug caught Eric or was this one deer suficient?
Anonymous said…
WOW, I thought Caroline was going to be the ONLY HUNTER???? John must be estatic! BOY, does Eric look like John, or what??

Funny, when Eric gets a bigger deer than John ever could dream of getting!!!!

~Sue
Unknown said…
Congrats to BB! I think if I am going to go hunting I would much rather do it from my backyard than sitting in a tree stand for hours!

LC looks great!

Enjoy NYC! Can't wait to see the fun pics!
jenny said…
Congrats to Brainy-Boy! I can only imagine how thrilled my hubby will be when our boys cross this great threshold into true manhood (tongue inserted in cheek). I loved your syntax in that paragraph. They don't give blogging awards undeservedly--your writing is so witty--after a visit here I am always smiling.

Have a great trip!!
Unknown said…
I can imagin just how proud Brainy Boy's Father must have been. I'm sure that day will go down in history. Have fun in the City, I know you will! Sounds like you and Little Chic are going to have a total BLAST!
Unknown said…
What tallent your Little Chic has! Perhaps she will be our future American Idol.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha