Skip to main content

I'll Be Home for Christmas!

With all our family living scattered near and far, it's a rare occurrence for us to spend the entire Christmas vacation at home. But this year we are, and we're actually excited about it. It was awesome to attend Christmas Eve service at church last night, come home and do the Christmas Eve traditions and then get up this morning with no place to go! After we attended our annual candlelight service at church (in which Little Chic sang), we came home, sipped a little Purity Egg Nog, read the Christmas Story from Luke 2, opened our new Christmas jammies and settled in for a traditional viewing of Little Lord Fauntleroy.

When the movie was over, Little Chic was initiated into the world of "non-believer" since this is her first year of officially not believing in Santa. She has been on the fence for a while, but she was never really ready to admit it before this year. We live in a family of skeptics and realists, so it's amazing that she held out as long as she did. The initiation included watching "Santa" eat the cookies that we always leave. I had intended to do away with this ritual, but Little Chic thought it was such a hoot that the family dog always does the honors, and she wanted to be around for DogSpot's first experience as the stand-in. Believe me, it was as much a thrill for DogSpot as it was for Little Chic. Little Chic also humored us with a sweet letter to Santa to go along with the snack. I'm quite sure DogSpot was not nearly as impressed with the personal note as she was the cookies.Today was no disappointment either. The morning started bright and early, and the only small glitch we had in the day is the near brawl between Muh Main Man and Brainy Boy over the new RC helicopter. Which was a gift to Brainy Boy. From Muh Main Man and me. Hmmm. Gonna have to work that one out. But anyway.

Merry Christmas to all, have a wonderful holiday season and the diet starts on Monday.

Comments

Laura said…
Merry Christmas!
Rochelle said…
Glad you were able to be in your nest for Christmas!
Unknown said…
Merry Christmas! I'm glad you got to relax and spend your vacation at home! While blogging I was surprised to read about how many people with kids are traveling!
Blessings!
Anonymous said…
We got into the near-brawl at our home, too . . . somthing about the rotors coming off with an incomplete landing???

Anyhow . . . You did an awesome job singing yourself, Mrs. O

~Sonya
Laurie said…
Merry Christms Jen and Fam! Sending you hugs from the Slawta5! So glad you enjoyed your trip to NYC!
jenny said…
So funny! I love this post and I'm happy you all got to stay home.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha