Skip to main content

Practical Gadgets

Everybody knows I'm a gadget geek, but in my enthusiasm I often get saddled with stuff that either doesn't do what it's supposed to or I don't really have a regular, practical use for it. I am regularly consulted by my buds asking whether or not I've tried this or that "As Seen on TV" winner.

I'm proud to say that my new Black & Decker rice steamer hasn't let me down. I've always resorted to Minute Rice, not because I liked it, but because I don't fix rice that often and I didn't have a better way to make sure the real stuff turned out edible. But I've been hearing how great the steamers are, and I do have a liking for authentic Chinese sticky rice and I've been obsessed with stir-fry for some reason lately. So I broke down (okay, let's be honest here, I indulged myself) on my weekly grocery run to Walmart last Friday, especially when I realized I could get one for under $20. I've used it twice since, once with converted white rice and once with brown rice, and I have to say if you make rice more than once in a blue moon, it's a dandy investment. It's right down my alley too, as I was able to plug it in and use it correctly without referring to the directions, in true-to-myself style. (One of the problems with me being a gadget fiend is that I'm not a directions loyalist, and I often end up frustrating myself or breaking something that is essential for functioning).

So guess what's on the menu again this week? But only because I have to try the real stuff, which I don't have in my cabinet yet.

Comments

Rochelle said…
I used my rice steamer night before last....the rice accompanied my pork & cabbage stew perfectly!
We purchased our in Boston several years ago & lugged it back in the overhead bin on the airplane. (At the time they weren't quite so popular & we couldn't find one in our town) We use ours often!
Unknown said…
I tried posting to this post this morning and was unable to for some reason or another, I'll try again.

Gotta love a gadget gal! The other night while one of those commercials was on, I actually "LOVED" the product. Bobby picked up the phone, dialed the number, got on the phone, talked to the sales person then tried to hand the phone to me. I had this "HUGE" grin on my face as mentally I counted the numbers as he dialed and he came up just one number too short, so I knew he was not speaking with a soul. P.S. Didn’t get the product, nor can I recall what it was.

Don't know what I would have done without my rice cooker in Korea. We bought the sticky rice by the 10 + pound bag as they don't sell rice by the little boxes. I miss that yummy sticky rice.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,