Skip to main content

Mother Instinct

Being a mom is great, but it comes with responsibilities that are sometimes not to my liking. One of them is taking care of barf and boo-boos. I am married to a medic, and believe me, that comes in handy usually. But when in medic mode, Hero Guy treats the wee ones like every other patient and sometimes mother instinct just takes over and I have to step in. Now this is difficult for me since I have always been a bit squeamish. From the earliest time when people would ask "So, are you going to be a nurse like your mom?" I would emphatically decline. I am a medical transcriptionist and you can regularly see me typing along with a knot in my stomach, a look of disgust on my face as I listen to the details of some unfortunate patient having their ingrown toenail removed. It is hard enough for me to listen to it described, and I certainly won't sign up to actually view it in progress.

Thus, when Little Chic crashed on her scooter in the last hour of our camping trip, I readily volunteered Hero Guy to bandage her up. But when it came time to remove the bandage, we discovered that it had been left on too long, and the gauze was firmly implanted in the dried-up goo that had oozed from Little Chic's wound. Hero Guy began soaking the gauze and at the point he realized it was not going to come off easily, he described the painful process Little Chic would have to endure to get it off, and she began to howl. His method is quick and simple, do what you have to do and just get it done. My sympathy began flowing in full tilt and I intervened to say that I would remove it slowly and as painlessly as possible.

Hero Guy let me take over, but disapproved of my Qtip, water and two-hour method versus his bite-the-bullet and rip it off. I will have to say that I think Little Chic cried a lot more while I was doing it since it stretched into such a long process and she still went to bed traumatized. Her tolerance for pain and grossness is about like mine, so it probably would have been better to take the short version and get it over with.

However, this morning, she is in fine form, we both have dried our tears and Hero Guy did say he admired my patience. And we will not be asking him to put another bandage on it either.

Comments

Unknown said…
Sometimes I forget those type things that moms and dads have to tend to. You had me squirming as I read this but I'm so happy to hear she is much better this morning.
Anonymous said…
Poor little Caroline!!! That must have hurt, and I'm sure you were both exhausted after two hours. I prefer female doctors over male doctors of all professions, not because I think they are better at it, I just think that in general they are more compassionate and caring because they are female. :-)
Rochelle said…
Wow, that took a lot of patience, but I know it was worth it. I'm always glad I can wait until my patients are under anesthesia before I start hurting them!
PandaMom said…
She will forget the hurt of the fall, but will always remember her Mama taking care of her! ; )
Anonymous said…
I am just like you Jennifer, Chris is the one that has to step in to fix a boo boo. I am the one to comfort while he tends to it. When Camron got stitches in the corner of his left eye at 17 months old, I had to leave the ER room (about to faint), while Chris stayed. I felt like a horrible mom but Chris wanted him to remember that trauma with his dad, not his mom (who is usually the comforter, nurturer, etc). I will tell you, as soon as he got out, I did NOT let that little boy go!
~Sue
Rach said…
I would have used your method as well. Especially if your dh's method meant reopening the wound again. Ick!

What us Moms have to endure through the lives of our children hey?
alane said…
I've just started med school and can definitely appreciate your story. There's always a fine line between tenderness and doing it the "doctor way". :)

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,