Skip to main content

Hoeing Out

I wrote and attempted to post this earlier, but since Blogger wasn't working correctly, it gave me more time to take more action on the subject.

Ever since El Kiddos entered school age, I have experienced a weird phenomenon around the August/September timeframe. I get this irresistible New-Years-Resolution-type urge that I just can't ignore. I get all fitnessey again, determining to get back on my regular schoolyear schedule of working out since I don't have two little scooterheads to bring along (you know, the ones that Razor right in front of me and cause me to stumble over my own feet, as if I need any extra help). I get all nesty, the same way you get when you are 38 weeks pregnant, feeling like I'm gonna scream because I can't stand the clutter and mess that is created by four people who are staying home lots of extra hours during the summertime. And I get all ambitious, the same way you feel when you are planning the work, but before the lull you get when you actually start working the plan.

The fitness impulse is pretty convenient, because it doesn't really affect anybody else's schedule but my own. Hero Guy goes off to work, kids head into school and I can make it to my 9:30 kickboxing class with room to spare. The nesting impulse, on the other hand, affects everybody else. Because it's their stuff that I am losing tolerance for. I have learned over the years to indulge this particular "garbage therapy" on the sly. I've actually begun already, and I sneaked a pickup truck load of castoffs into the bed of Hero Guy's pickup truck and concealed it under the handy tonneau cover he has on the back. He did really well, only salvaging one measly something-or-other and hoarding it back into the garage. It is yet to be seen how he will take the most recent discarding of his prized stereo system (the same one that we bought in our first month of marriage 17 years ago, and the same one that hasn't been plugged in or played since we moved into our current abode 11 years ago). The conversation usually goes like:
Me: "Babe, come look at how great I cleaned up the computer room."
Him: "Wow, where'd all the stuff go."
Me: "It's packed neatly away." (not mentioning that the present storage place is in the back of the truck).
MUCH LATER......
Me: "Hey, next time you've got a few minutes, I need you to drop off some stuff at the recycling center (in other words "dump")
Him: "What are we throwing away?"
Me: "Just some old junk I found laying around. None of it works anymore."
AFTER PEERING INTO THE PICKUP:
Him: "This is totally good stuff."
Me: "This is stuff you didn't even know you still had. I don't think it even still works."
Him: "You really need to inventory this stuff and take it to the Salvation Army so we can get a tax write-off."
Me: "You inventory it, and I'll be happy to unload it at the Salvation Army."
Him: "Let me check the hours of that-there dump. I'll run the stuff over as soon as I get a chance."

And so it goes, my house gets a little neater, I get a little happier and we actually have some walking room until next summer.

The tough part is getting to the kids' rooms without them noticing. I have learned to wait until the first week of school, when their rooms are good and messy and I've been bugging them to clean them for a week or so. One day they come home from school Mom has done them a huge favor to show them how much I've missed them. I've cleaned those rooms for them. They love when I do that, but it is so irksome to try to find that certain toy that was buried just there, under that pile.....

Comments

tim said…
Pam apparently gets the same urges to reduce the inventory now and then. Our oldest gal is an incredible pack-rat; on days when she is out and about for awhile Pam loads several garbage bags full of truck thats been gathered in an amazingly short amount of time. Her life is an ongoing scrapbook. From empty chapstick containers, arranged neatly on the window sill, to clothing price tags and store labels taped to the walls, she keeps it all. I've found that the best fix for the "old stereo" type problem is to move. If you get a small truck some things just won't fit and you are forced to leave them behind. We have left some "treasures" in an old barn, far enough away to be out of our hair, but close enough that we don't lose the security of "having it". Oh well, this has become more than a comment, sorry for taking up gigabytes or whatever. Good luck with the physical fitness plan, don't kick anyone to hard. You were pretty good at karate now that I think about it.
Just Me said…
Hi! Just dropped in - was checking out the Christian Women on Line - and came across your blog! Had to laugh when I read it! I thought I was the only person who did the 'room clean' on the first day of school! Mmmm...we must be long lost sisters or something!!
Unknown said…
This blog totally cracked me up! I get the same way this time of year and never really thought about it much till you mentioned it. I’m already on my cleaning tangent cleaning everything out it seems. I like everything just so too and fortunately Bobby lets me pretty much keep house the way I like it. He is doing wonders cleaning through his things in "HIS" garage. I'm proud of him as he’s been able to say goodbye to lots of stuff.
Anonymous said…
Organizing, throwing out, cleaning up - words that make my heart flutter when I'm saying that I'm doing them, or they are done! Go Jen!!!
Anonymous said…
my solution to cleaning my kids rooms is to have them hold a garage sale in their room. i go through and offer to buy a HUGE bag of their stuff for $5 and then i take it to the mission:) they are happy cuz they have made $5 and i am happy cuz the suff is gone!
donna s
Thanks for sharing post – much appreciated and now following you! Looking forward to your Post....

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha