Skip to main content

Al Dente

Brainy Boy, 10 years old and going into 5th grade, unexpectedly lost a molar last night. It had just started getting loose a couple of days ago and as he was wiggling it, it popped out. Being the cynic that he is, he's never been a big fan of the Tooth Fairy. However he does readily accept any and all prizes that may happen to appear under his pillow the morning following a tooth loss. The only rule at our house is that he has to play along, put the tooth under the pillow and the "Tooth Fairy" will understand that he likes to keep his own teeth and she'll leave a prize and leave the tooth where it is under his pillow. He puts all his teeth in a little 35mm black film canister and keeps it in his treasure box. We've told him that if he's too big to play along, then he's too big to get a prize for the tooth. He always gets a big kick out of using his two fingers to make the "quotation-mark" sign when he talks about the Tooth Fairy in front of his sister, who thinks he is really crazy not to believe.

To make a long story short, following the tooth expulsion at 9pm I quickly instant messaged Hero Guy to run by the gas station and buy some sort of little toy or trinket to stick under Brainy Boy's pillow. When Hero Guy got home, Brainy Boy happened to still be awake. He ran in to Hero Guy asking if anything looked different about him. Hero Guy did the dad-thing and asked if he'd gotten a haircut, grown an inch and lots of other crazy guesses. After revealing the tooth-gap, Brainy Boy said he thought that since he didn't really believe in the Tooth Fairy anyhow, dad could just go ahead and hand over whatever prize he would be getting for the tooth. Hero Guy reminded him that if he didn't believe in the Tooth Fairy, he didn't need to get a present for a useless peice of enamel.

Brainy Boy's response: "Dad, I haven't believed in the Tooth Fairy for years and I always get something for my tooth. So that renders your argument moot. Hand it over!"

In a stupor of vocabulary shock, I nodded to Hero Guy to hand over the plastic cap gun with little red caps.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Funny, funny kid!!
Unknown said…
Brainy Boy is not only smart but his debate makes perfect sense. The older he gets the stronger his debates will be for sure. Gotta love his reasoning!
Anonymous said…
TOO FUNNY!
Camron has officially lost all his baby teeth and STILL believes at 10, not that it will get him anywhere now!!!! AND he is getting 12 year molarsm, and wonders if he gets something for that.....he is way ahead of schedule.
Then there is Damon, at 7, who lost his 5th tooth today coming home from the Zoo. We had to pull into a rest area to find it, after he pulled it out, AND we had to stop the bleeding!
He kissed his tooth goodbye before putting it under his pillow and Can't wait for the "Cold hard cash" he is getting!
Then he said "it feels weird to lose teeth, I miss it!"
~Sue
Laurie said…
Baahahahahhahaha! How the heck are you ever gonna stay one step ahead of this one???!!! Goood Luck!
Rach said…
heehee .. wow, what a vocabulary on that boy of yours. I would have been running for the dictionary. lol
alane said…
Your boy has quite a vocabulary! I remember as a child always wanting to keep my teeth too, but I actually went so far as to write a letter to the tooth fairy asking her not to take the tooth but still leave the money!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,