Skip to main content

Not everybody Loves a Happy Valentine's Day

Luckily I'm married to a guy who gets the whole love language deal and he's well tuned into the fact that acts of service really fill my love tank. To earn brownie points so that he could buy a new snowmobile demonstrate his undying love for me, he has been doing all sorts of favors for me this week--odds and ends that generally would stay undone and cause me to be accused of nagging at some juncture--he has just been knocking them out right and left. He's even taken on a few of my own procrastinated chores. Just because. Without me asking. So although today was the official "day of luv" as they say, I've just been celebrating all week because I won the jackpot in the husband department.

It seems that we have successfully passed the idea and excitement about treating your "special one" special on this day to only one of our offspring. Little Chic got right into the spirit of carefully selecting her Valentines for each of her friends, signing each and every one and carefully taping a piece of candy on the tops. Brainy Boy, on the other hand, bellyached all week about the misery of having to celebrate anything so lame -especially while being forced to personally deliver an insincere greeting to each of his classmates. Especially the girls. We started the day by exchanging gifts & cards and as always, each of the kids got a little treat as well. Little Chic was just thrilled with her tokens, and Brainy Boy did think it would be a great idea to eat his gourmet chocolate chip cookie for breakfast. We progressed with Valentine parties this afternoon, with Little Chic happy to see Mom walk in the classroom door. Brainy Boy had somewhat of an accusatory tone to his "Hello" when I got to his class. He sent his Valentine bag home with me with instructions to "forage whatever you want out of it--I don't care about any of this stuff." Fortunately for me, it was filled lots of sugary stuff, but not much chocolate, so I was able to resist.

In the end, I think we all enjoyed our day, three of us because it's fun to be treated special on Valentine's Day and the bah-humbug of the family--because he got to try shrimp almond ding for the first time and apparently it really hit the spot.

Comments

Laura said…
Sounds like a great day.

Love the photo - you look so happy!
Unknown said…
So happy the whole fam had such a Happy Valentines. Nice pic of you luv birds too!
Mary Ellen said…
What a great picture of the two of you.

Loved the blog - especially the part you "crossed out" - how nice you are getting so much done around the house by the love of your life, even if it is for all the wrong reasons - we wives don't care what their reasons/motivation, we are just happy to cross stuff the honey do list, right? Looking forward to the day when you post pictures of the completed basement!!!
Sweet!

You've been tagged!

http://newyorktraveler.blogspot.com/2008/02/crazy-8s-meme.html
Rochelle said…
Haha! Glad you had a happy V-tine Day. Hopefully the completion of the favors/chores will continue for ya! :)
Online Dater said…
I must say, you are both lucky to have each other. May you have a wonderful life together…forever!
The photo is so nice. It was precisely a pose of a happy and contented marriage life.

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...