Skip to main content

Instant Gratification

Although Muh Main Man has been a hardcore backpack camper for years, the fam took up the milder form of tent camping a few years ago. We trek into the wild Adirondack forest several times each summer and now our nice three-room tent is about ready to be replaced. I made an offhand comment that rather than purchasing a new tent, we might want to upgrade to a pop-up camper next spring when people are trading in for bigger models.

I think I made that comment yesterday morning about 11am as we were drying out the tents from our trip last week. By 3pm, we were down at the local RV center "just to look." By 8pm we were on a country road not too far away looking at a camper with a "For Sale" sign on the canvas. By 9pm Ebay was searching and Muh Main Man was bidding and I had a knot in my stomach. There was a list of available campers sitting on the counter from Craig's List. He would have called the owners on the spot but it was midnight. Sellers don't take kindly to being awakened in the middle of the night about their classifieds, you know?

Now I like to shop. I do. I even make an impulse purchase or two--but I limit it to a $12 bottle of new make-up or new kitchen gadget that I see on the rack - something like a silicone spatula. But when it comes to bigger purchases, I like to look first. I want to see everything that is available and get exactly the one I want. I hate buyers remorse and I get especially when I see Joe Blow with exactly what I wanted but didn't get because I didn't know it existed because I didn't look long enough....know what I mean?!

If Muh Main Man has his way, we'll be popping up this weekend instead of tenting it. I'm counting on some other husbands impulse buying the suitable campers out from under us so I can look a little longer.

Comments

Unknown said…
Smile. Keep us posted, I want to know all about your pop-up adventure.

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...