We hosted a visiting minister for dinner today. He is filling in for about 10 weeks during our pastor's sabbatical. Brainy Boy was particularly interested in these guests because the minister and his wife had their eight-year-old grandson along. The point of interest was that the boy was from Canada. Upon learning this juicy tidbit, Brainy Boy said that he had always wanted to hear how a Canadian talks. I pointed out that since Canada borders the US (and particularly our state) that he probably wouldn't speak that differently from us. Well, Mr. Know-It-All would have none of it. He filled me in on what EVERYBODY knows -"Well, everybody knows that foreigners have an accent. Even Japanese people have a really unusual accent."
This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...
Comments
~Sue