Skip to main content

I Gotcha, I Gotcha Not

We have a dirty little problem in our house...it's of the rodent variety. I suspected as much a few days ago when I saw telltale doo-doo sprinkled in one of my cabinets. Our log house has occasionally been a haven for a field mouse or two, but it's usually in the dead of winter when they are seeking refuge from the bitter elements. I can't say as I've ever had one during the warm months. Since field mice tend to be very tiny and they easily escape from spring traps, I am a hardcore, hardhearted catcher and I skip straight to glue traps.

Well, this little bugger helped himself to three cookie bits and left only a few stray hairs on 3 glue traps. I upgraded last night and used a larger glue trap that Ehrlich gave us, thinking that as the mouse tried to free itself, it would get stuck fast on the larger spread of glue. Apparently the paper backing of this glue trap proved just as delicious as the cookie as did the corner edging of my cabinet trim...the blasted critter just ate himself free!I made a visit to the hardware store and bought two of the Better Mouse Traps so we'll see how he likes his treat tonight!

UPDATE- 6/27: The one sticky trap that was left had tons of evidence including poop all over, lots of fur but no rodent. The two BETTER traps sadly were marketing scams. They weren't better at all. Neither one was touched.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi, I think we were in high school together at BJA--I saw the note about your blog on classmates.com.

Cindy (Coggins) DeMarco
BJA'87
Unknown said…
That's too funny! Here's hoping your better trap gets er done. I’ll stay tuned.
Melanie said…
He's a smart one!

We had a mouse a couple of winters ago that moved into our garage. He chewed on some important part of my car and caused several hundred dollars worth of damage!

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...