Skip to main content

ACTS Dinner

The church we attend supports a local soup kitchen by providing the food and workers to cook and serve the food every other month. I have been wanting to get my kids involved in a compassionate activity for a while up to this point, I just haven't followed through. I've really been sensing the need to expose my kids to those less fortunate and give them an opportunity to show God's love to other people in a tangible way. So tonight, the Short People and I showed up at the United Methodist Church and helped fix food, served it and then cleaned up afterward. It was really a neat thing to see them get joy out of helping to make somebody else's day brighter. Little Chic wrote her own little synopsis of the experience.

Comments

jenny said…
Hey Jen! Once upon a time and many moons ago, you and John were very hospitable to me while I was doing a summer internship up in NY. I remember rodeos, really yummy Sunday afternoon dinners, and always lots of fun and laughs. So enjoyed coming across your blog. You are very gifted with wit and words (love the family names!) and deserve all the honors and awards.
Anonymous said…
That's awesome! Hope y'all have a pleasant Fourth of July.
Unknown said…
What a great way for the kids to give and touch others in such a meaningful way.
Becky said…
I need to get my 'short people' involved in something like that too. : ) Beautiful blog!
Anonymous said…
Jennifer, my church, OLGC, has a soup kitchen every Friday. Suzy is a leader for a group, she works SOOOOO hard when it is her turn (teams rotate every week)! It is hard work and everyone is a volunteer. The kids who volunteer learn alot!

Camron will be volunteering this year for Soup Kitchens, it is part of his Religious Ed class.

~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...