Skip to main content

Not a Lonely Only

Brainy Boy, as sweet and sensitive as he is, tends to be the type that likes his alone time. He certainly has his share of friends and is sociable enough, but he never complains about being lonely. Ever. It has crossed my mind a time or two that he would have been a very contented only child. It's not that he doesn't love his sis--he just likes his space. And she likes his space too! So he's actually made out pretty well this week with Little Chic gone, and frankly, I think he's soaking up the quiet. She's the singing, chatting, communicator of the family and we don't have many quiet moments with her around. Sometimes it about drives him buggy. It's certainly never dull when she's here, and I for one, have missed her singing as she combs her hair every morning. And singing while she does her chores. And singing while she plays the computer. And singing while she...well, you get the idea.

We've kept the shopping to a minimum for Brainy Boys' sake and have tried to cater some of our activities more his liking. We've made 2 trips to the library, a couple of lunches out (Brainy Boy adores eating out--he fancies himself a gourmet) and tonight an outdoor movie at the community pool (Night at the Museum).

One bonus of the week alone was that Muh Main Man taught him to ride the Big Bear four-wheeler which certainly would not have happened had Little Chic been here. She would have insisted on her own solo turn and dad's still too protective to allow that with her lighter weight and smaller size (and her need for speed--wonder where she gets that from?). Brainy Boy is much more cautious and rule-keeping than his sister. She's like her dad that way...Brainy Boy profusely thanked his dad for the privilege and assured him that he feels "much more manly now." Seriously, he said that with a completely sincere countenance.

UPDATE: We opted to eat at Friendly's for dinner since it was just the two of us (Muh Main Man had Hazmat training), and then we rented the movie to watch at home. It was a bit to warm and buggy for Brainy Boy to enjoy watching the movie outside. He's a fall and winter kind of kid. I suppose it's a good thing that we camp in the Adirondacks where it is eternally cool at night. But, I digress. The movie was hilarious, and even though it's hard to impress us, we both highly recommend it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah Friendly's! Shannon & I had one of our first "dates" at the Friendly's in Scranton.
Unknown said…
Your kid’s are so neat and the way you described Little Chic reminded me of me (well, not in the singing department, but that was really cute) and how I always had to have my nose into my brother's business. So glad Brainy Boy had such a wonderful week at home soaking in his alone time.
Anonymous said…
how brave he is? I also used to pass my time in similar manner when i was young

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,