Skip to main content

Effective Parenting in a Defective World

Proverbs 22:6 "Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it. (NLT)

I've been a big fan of Chip Ingraham, from Walk Thru the Bible for a long time. When I first listened to his Living on the Edge broadcast on my local Christian radio station, I was immediately drawn to his frank, down-to-earth style of communication. So you can imagine my excitement when the mail guy hand delivered a package that contained the leader kit for a small group study called Effective Parenting in a Defective World for me to review. It just turns out that I was already intimately familiar with this particular package considering the fact that last summer, I went through this nine-week DVD course with a group of parents from my church. At that time it was my first opportunity to hear Chip's perspective on the topic of parenting and raising one's children and I was not disappointed. The study proved to be a rich experience and I gained some straightforward, practical advice on raising healthy, well-balanced children who love and respect God and their parents. As well, I had the opportunity to share and relate to other parents who were going through parenting issues and challenges that were similar to mine. I found the study to be relative to families with children of all ages, bringing some direction and basics to parents of young children as well as giving hope and confidence to parents of older ones. In addition, parenting couples and single parents alike are able to identify key strategies to strengthening their families and building their child's potential.

The DVD study contained in the leader's package is designed for a lay person to be able to lead the study simply by coordinating and facilitating a group of parents. The leader's kit includes nine teaching sessions of 25 to 35 minutes each and they are led by Chip so there is no need for the study leader to do any teaching. The sessions are scripturally based and include some real life examples from Chip's own parenting experience. He speaks straight to the parent with challenge and motivation and his insight is presented in a way that can be immediately put into practice. In addition, the leader's kit provides a printed leader's guide that walks you through the content and schedule of each session and a participant workbook is included as well. Along with viewing the DVD during each study session, it also includes a few minutes of participant discussion as well as an assignment given by Chip to use with your children that week. The participants support one another and keep each other accountable to follow through with the weekly assignments.

The DVD leader's kit for Effective Parenting in a Defective World can be ordered from Walkthru.org at for an extremely reasonable $99.95. The leader's guide is fairly easy to follow even if you've never facilitated a group before. The suggested format is described in the manual, although I had to search a bit to find out how long each video segment is. I wasn't able to find the length of each individual video session since it wasn't listed anywhere that I could find in the leader's manual, on the label of the DVD nor on the DVD menu chapters. It would be helpful to know exactly how long each video topic is, especially if you are running a tight schedule for your study. Other than that minimal annoyance, the directions are laid out in an easy-to-understand manner. It's also of note that as the facilitator, you need to use your copy of the participant manual along with your leader's manual as there are a few questions, particularly in the weekly assignment sections, that aren't specifically written in the leader's manual.

There is a book of the same title as well as other companion resources available at the web site. Topics covered in the nine sessions are: 1) How to Raise Positive Kids in a Negative World, 2) Building Relationships that Bond, 3) How to Develop your Child's Full Potential, 4) God's Process for Teaching Obedience, 5) How to Discipline Your Child Effectively, 6) Punishment Versus Discipline, 7) Words that Discipline, 8) Five Smooth Stones for Parenting and 9) When All Else Fails.

This is a highly valuable resource for growing your family God's way and I definitely recommend you try it for your next small group study. All in all, you'll have an easy way to lead parents to God's plan for their children.

Comments

Paula said…
Loved all the photos in your previous posts! DogSpot is soooo cute. This sounds like a great study.
Unknown said…
That sounds like such a wonderful study for all parents. I give you a 10 for the way you told us what you think.
Unknown said…
I want to start this study at my church for our parents. I have the DVD set with workbook etc. The only problem is I lent out the DVD's for parents to preview about a year ago and at that time we decided to use different curriculum. Well, needless to say one of the DVD's was misplaced. I don't need to buy the whole set, but want to know where I can buy a replacement or if anyone has the DVD that I could borrow. It is the DVD that contains Sessions 4, 5, and 6. Please let me know if you have any information.
Anonymous said…
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,