Skip to main content

Eternal Passenger

Ever since the day we brought DogSpot home, we noticed what a good passenger she was in the car. She rode nicely, sitting still with the kids in the backseat so we decided to keep her used riding by taking her with us frequently for short errands around town. We did have one slight issue with the windshield wipers, but getting lots of treats while they whisk back and forth changed her mind to believe they are her friends after all.

Since we've been camping twice and she's driven over three hours one way several times, she has gotten used to the idea that whenever we are going someplace, she IS going along. I am noticing since our return last Wednesday, that every time the keys jingle, DogSpot comes running. If she is inside the house, she sits under the doorknob so it is impossible to get past her. If she is outside, she runs and sits on the front doormat so you trip over her as you are going out. She dashes to the car so you can't catch her and she tries to maneuver her way in so she can go along.

Most of the time I let her go if I'm not going to be gone too long. Once in a while I have to run inside the store, and I've been known to keep the car running (and also locked) so she doesn't get hot. She waits patiently in her own seat, looking at all the people coming and going and she sits nicely while I get back in the car. But a lot of times, it's just impossible to take her along. When she has to stay home, I give her a treat as she gets in her crate, but she just shoves it aside as if to say that she's really insulted and don't try bribing her with any ol' stinkin' treat!

I am going to get one of those corny seat covers for my passenger seat though. All that white hair is getting all over everything. And the beach towel I've been using just isn't cutting it! It's as bad as when I had babies barfing and pooping all over their car seats!! Well, okay, not quite as bad, but almost.

Comments

Unknown said…
DogSpot is just too cute! And it's great that she's such a wonderful passenger.
Rochelle said…
Luca is kindof the same way. We have a detached garage & EVERY time we let her out the back door she runs to the garage (before she even pees!) cause she's DYING to get in the car! Cracks me up.
Unknown said…
Didn't really know where else to say hi, so Hello! Nice to meet you! I've applied for a position where Toni used to work, I'm praying hard for that, it will be an answer to many things. Including our wedding date! (which I can't wait for!) Thanks for the comment, I'll see you around the blogging universe.. :)
Melanie said…
Dottie is like that too. She's a pretty good passenger and her hair is always all over. It's so hard to clean out too.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha