Skip to main content

Where Did I Go?

I realize I haven't been here. Well, I've been here, but not HERE. I've been recovering from quite the intense emotional mom-experience that can only be had when something's not quite right with one's kid. Thankfully everything's fine, but it's not all right the way I like it to be all right - you know, completely back to normal. Quite a bit has happened in the last week starting with Brainy Boy's casts coming off (with Muh Main Man out of town and therefore unable to assure me that there was no reason to panic at the sight of Brainy Boy wobbling around). I watched Brainy Boy graduate from wheelchair, to crutches to one crutch. It's all been advancing smoothly but slower than I originally anticipated, which caused an initial reaction of self-doubt about the decision to have the surgery and immense heartache at seeing my boy struggle to do everything on his own. This included one heart-wrenching day watching him wheeling his own chair down the sidewalk with his backpack on his lap and trying to open the heavy doors of the school insisting that he needed no help from anybody. The biggest challenge was my determination to portray a relaxed composure and assure both the short people that everything was completely normal and that mom wasn't on the edge of freaking out with worry. That was coupled with a week scheduled to the point that the calendar nearly imploded on itself. So I gave y'all a break from having me sniveling every day and settled instead for one bit of a whine session now that I've gotten myself pulled back together.

Thankfully some good and exciting things happened while I was treading water to maintain my sanity -

1) Brainy Boy is quite thrilled with his crutches. He abruptly stops and gets into a bent-over stance while he aims a crutch at some imaginary enemy and breaks into loud machine-gun noises. I think he'll be a little disappointed when he has no excuse left to take them to school.

2) Little Chic and Brainy Boy's DI team placed fourth in NY state in their division. This was quite an accomplishment for a team of seven 9 and 10 year old kids who had to plan and implement their challenge with no adult help allowed.

3) My girlfriends from the PTA took me to lunch for my birthday (it's early yet). Oh, and I'm getting a pedicure on Monday....so the world actually is going to be all right.

Comments

Unknown said…
Ok, so that explains it... I've looked for you every day, sometimes twice and it's so good to have you back! I actually felt a knot in my throat while reading about the special young man in your life. I love the way you write as I can almost feel it even though I've never walked in your shoes. Your writing is a gift and I for one enjoy it. You're one amazing mom doing one incredible job.

Congratulations to Little Chic and Brainy Boy's team, that's awesome!
Mary Ellen said…
I'm sure the whole experience has been harder on you than everyone else put together. It sounds like he's doing great and hopefully this will be the end of all pain and discomfort and the start of some fancy footwork for him!
Melanie said…
Glad you're back! I was beginning to wonder.
Good to hear that Brainy Boy is doing better. Congrats to Brainy Boy and Little Chic! What an accomplishment!! Oh, and enjoy the pedicure.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,