Skip to main content

Making Strides

We had our first major outing today, much to Brainy Boy's chagrin. We ventured out to dinner last night, but he felt a little conspicuous and didn't really enjoy it. But today, we needed to take Grandma to the airport and Little Chic was dying to try her new Heelies at the mall, which is right near the airport.

Once we dropped Grandma off, Brainy Boy decided he would at least like to try one trip down the wheelchair ramp and he declared that double foot surgery isn't so bad when the airport is this much fun! Apparently he didn't feel the stares of many spectators and we even took the elevator up to the tower to see the view from above.

At the mall, the floor was very smooth and allowed for lots of speed-gaining down the ramps. The wheelchair didn't seem to be faring too well at times, as the tiny front wheels developed quite a vibration. We only had one instance of dumpage when reloading Brainy Boy into the van as he got in a hurry and went over the curb instead of down the handicap ramp (he gets very insulted at any insinuation that he might in any way be, even temporarily, handicapped).

I've gotten very proficient at getting him in and out of the house, finding that piggyback riding a 100-lb kid is infinitely easier than trying to either shove or pull a loaded wheelchair up the porch steps.

Little Chic, for her part, takes any and all opportunities to latch on to the handles of Brainy Boy's wheelchair while he wheels himself around, dragging her along behind on her Heelies. He's getting quite the set of pecs, that boy.

Comments

PandaMom said…
I am praying for very fast recovery! Post some pics of the fam!!
Unknown said…
Wow! I'd say he's graduated and turned a new leaf! That's right Panda-Mom, pictures would be great! I continue to pray for a great recovery for your dearest Brainy Boy.
Kimberly said…
As someone who deals with a wheelchair everyday, I have been enjoying your humor re: this experience. Using wheelchairs (for short periods or full time) makes you look at life and logistics in a whole new way. (like I will NOT be taking Mom on a trip to Europe!) And it helps to smile:)!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha