Skip to main content

Alone....At Last

Today was a milestone day, the first that I've been alone for more than two weeks. I am a mom who definitely likes the company of her kids, but make no mistake. I'm also a person who desperately needs some regular alone time - even if it's just running to the gas station for a quick trip to fill the van with gas. With Muh Main Man out of town for six days, I was beside myself when they declared a snow day at the end of Easter Break yesterday.

You've never seen somebody haul a wheelchair and piggyback a kid into the van as quickly as I did this morning! He was ready too, and thoroughly enjoyed the extra attention he got while sporting his "pimped out wheelchair" as a classmate put it. He feigned annoyance at having to give the same answer a zillion times to "What happened to you?!" but he's more than happy to be going back to school tomorrow.

Tomorrow will also be a milestone day as he gets the casts off both legs and he'll be much more mobile, even if he does need the wheelchair or crutches a bit longer. At least he'll be able to brush his teeth without have to spit and rinse into the barf container we got at the hospital. That thing's going into the can the minute he rinses his mouth in the morning.

This is one of the funnier scenes we've seen during the past two weeks....seems more than just Brainy Boy who was enthralled with The Chair. I even caught Muh Main Man plopped in it once or twice. My good deed for the day was to entertain the elderly drycleaning delivery man with a cup of coffee while he waited for his boss to come tow him out of my snowed in driveway. Muh Main Man went out of town before the worst of the snowfall, so my driveway remained unplowed. I cleared what I could but the snow was entirely too heavy to shovel. Delivery guy didn't follow my van tracks well enough and slid off into the ditch. Rather than make him wait in his tipped-sideways van, I brought him in for a cup 'a joe. It always irks Muh Main Man when I do that, and believe it or not, it happens quite regularly. Weird too, as I'm not generally the entertaining type. Must be something about that "stranded along the wayside stranger" type that softens me up a bit. Besides, I always mention that I'm a kickboxer to make 'em think twice about trying anything funny ;)

Comments

Melanie said…
Alone time sure sounds nice.... it's been over 6 months since I've had that. I guess I have a few more years 'til that happens. But I know it will be here all too soon.
Unknown said…
I'll have to agree, I love my alone time too. And so happy Brainy Boy was ready to spread his wings.
Mary Ellen said…
What in the wide world is Brain boy wearing!?!?! It looks like a red leotard!!! But knowing my dear cuz like I do I can't see him allowing his son to parade around in that!

Maybe keeping a can of mace and a butcher knife laying along side the coffee pot when invited strangers come a knockin' will keep said cuz calmer....
Anonymous said…
I almost forgot that there was such a thing as alone time! Thanks for the reminder. :-) Mary, I think brainy boy is wearing a red shirt, blue pants and sitting on a red pillow. Am I right?
JenLo said…
Thank you, Allana. You got the outfit right! No leotards in sight.
Mary Ellen said…
Oh brother! I can see it now - I thought he was laying on his STOMACH with his legs out behind him! I thought the blue was a pillow. "-) Eyes must have been playing tricks on me. Funny thing is the two things I was thinking were is he must have a very strong back to lay like that and the second was I wondered who had to lift him up and put him in that position!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,