Skip to main content

Will Work for Poop

I was flipping through my local Clipper coupon magazine and found an ad for ummm - how to put this delicately - assistance in keeping your yard free from pet waste. Now I do tend to be one for discovering signs with weird offers, but this beats all. For a service plan of your choice, starting at $39 per month, this business owner will come to your yard and take away all the doo-doo your dog has left around the yard. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but in neighborhoods where you 'walk' the dog, it is a customary requirement for you to bring a doggie bag (for deposits, not leftovers) and take your pet's doggy-doo with you. That takes care of all the people who live in neighborhoods. For those who live in a more rural setting with a bit of property (as do I) it isn't necessary to walk the dog and clean up immediately after. I'm assuming that's the market for this particular service.

However, being one of those pet owners with adequate yardage and an electric underground fence, I'm not thinking that a monthly contract will really make my life all that much easier - even with the free bonus visits they'll provide if I sign a six-month contract. First of all, if your yard is big enough for your dog to use as a toilet, it would have to be a lot of humongo poops in order for it to be a real problem- what with the size of a large yard, and the mower mulching it up if it happens upon a pile. Second, if the yard is not very large and/or the dog takes to going in inconvenient places (like under the covered porch when it's raining), it will be problematic to wait for pooper-scooper-serviceman to discard the mess, and so you'll be needing to take care of that yourself anyway.

For those who would be interested in an 'assistance program' such as this, please advise me as to what stage of the contract your yard is in if I'm invited to visit. I'd like to know if it's 'clean diaper' or 'getting smelly' or 'knee high-bring your mukluks' before I accept.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What I can't imagine is being the person who actually does the job for a living. You go to a dinner party and someone asks you what you do for a living and you have to say a poop-picker-upper? Give me a break!
-Charlene
Anonymous said…
Stranger Job's are out there but then again, do they get any stranger than this, really? I happen to think this one is prize worthy of the title 'Strangest Job Ever' Too funny!!!

- Debbie Stewart
Anonymous said…
I actually know some families who have to de-poop (is that a word?) their yard because their yard is small and their dog is big. It's a good punishment for wrong doing in one house and it's an effective one too they say.

If I had a small yard and a big dog I would probably love the service if I had small kids who played outside often, but like Charlene said - who would want that job?!?!?

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha