Skip to main content

SIGNS of the Times

Bet you've never seen this before:

"Feel free to relax. Your children are welcome to wait in our lobby unsupervized while you tan."

Well, I saw it. For real. Last night when I went to my local tanning salon. Now, I would actually take advantage of this offer being that my kids are almost 9 yrs and 10 yrs, and they would welcome a chance to sit and play their Gameboys uninterrupted while I soak a few rays. They know they'd have a mean mommy if they caused any trouble while I am fake-baking.

But I suppose I figured the receptionist would be hanging around, keeping the kids entertained if needed and out of mischief if required. Apparently cleaning the beds and setting the bed timers while chatting on the phone with your boyfriend requires too much concentration to keep a hairy eyeball on the clients' children while the parent is otherwise occupied. So they say 'We just want you to know, your kids will be 'on their own' but feel free to let them loose!'

As a post-script, I know all about the dangers of tanning, the skin cancer risk, the wrinkle-inducing factors and all that. So no need to lecture. I get regular skin checks by my doctor, nobody is going to be admiring me anyway when I'm 70 (except my honey, who likes my tan) and I have found that cellulite is so much easier to accept when it is tan than when it is white!~

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Jen, you ruined it for me. I was all set to start my lecture on how I worked for a dermatologist and all the stuff I saw and the MOHS surgeries we performed on people with sun cancer. Even people in their 20's, etc. No seriously though, have you ever tried any of the really good sunless tanners? Knowing what kind of product junkie you are (I am too) I have tried them all and have a few favorites. It helps to keep the tan lasting so you don't have to do the tanning bed or the sun so often and saves some of that skin. Let me know if you want my favorites. Lots of people compliment me and think it is a real tan.
-Charlene

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,