Skip to main content

What's Your Therapy?

I'm not sure how it happened in the assembly line of creation when stress relief techniques were assigned. But the angel in charge of giving me gardening, cleaning and exercise as a means to relieving stress was on break, and the substitute thought it would be funny to give me shopping, eating and web surfing as stress relievers. The plan works like a charm and I tend to spend too much, eat too much and waste way too much time on the 'net if I need to 'chill out'.

This time of year, I hear so many people say how therapeutic gardening is for them, and as my flower beds get ever weedier (the ones I was shamed into creating a couple of summers ago) I pump myself up and tell myself just how relaxed I'm going to be as I zone out and create beauty for my family and me to enjoy. Today I'd had it with the empty flower pots lining my front porch, all shiny and new, ready to be filled with something...anything. I bought them in an attempt to motivate myself into putting something green in the cute little pastel containers complete with the curvy handle that hangs over the top of the railing, suspending them on the front of the porch. After several weeks of procrastinating, my last excuse (frost) is all but over. I had to accept that Memorial Day had come and gone, and I still had nary a plant to brag about. Now you who know me realize I'm a gadget girl, so I have a fully stocked shed complete with every gardening tool - I don't even know what they're all called - but I have them in case I need them.

I finally broke down today, went to the garden center, picked out some cute little plants and I have no idea whether they will survive the week or not. They say sun/shade. Will it be okay if the sun shines on them all day? They fit in the containers, but a bit snugly. Will they suffocate to death? Some of the blooms are dying. Do they need to be plucked? How is it therapy if there isn't someone to keep asking '"nd how do you feel about that?" I feel that it would be better if my flowers were planted by a gardner who actually knew something about gardening.

Then after the planting comes the weeding - pulling stalks, prickers, weeds, roots...things that refuse to come out of the ground and will only be popping their weedy little heads up again in another few days. I mean, what's the point? Instead of feeling relaxed, rejunvenated, serene? I feel anxious, sweaty and itchy. But I continue like a madwoman, performing the equivalent of botanic surgery - well, murder actually, to anything that looks remotely too green and big to possibly be a decorative plant thing.

I've said all this to say, I'm in the market for a gardener in exchange for therapy. I'll be happy to have some beautiful looking plants, and you'll be happy because you're healing your inner self. You go around planting my stuff and pulling my weeds and I'll follow behind you asking "and how do you feel about that?" We'll make a great pair.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are TOO funny! For gardening to be therapy you need to be able to enjoy the process because many times the product is a bit disappointing. For me it's therapy because I wonder....how would this plant do if I moved it to more sun or more shade? Or can I take plants from the side of the road and grow them in my garden? And I love to attract hummingbirds and butterflys to bright flowers- actaully I like the looks of flowers and plants with neat foilage- BUT if I was bent on success and a Better Homes & Gardens garden- I'd choose shopping!
anyhow, what are the plants that say sun & shade? it might make a difference. All day sun gets pretty hot- if they're in small containers though you could move them around, it would be about as relaxing as caring for a newborn, LOL!!
Anonymous said…
I wish so badly that when I was a kid I had followed our dear Grandma O around and learned from her about plants and gardening because I would LOVE to know more about it. I do really well with my indoor plants, and I learn a lot from my sister Brenda (who is really good at it) but I think it is something I would really enjoy and wish I knew more about. I'm with you though, if I'm stressing out about the plant it isn't too relaxing!
Unknown said…
Talk about therapy. I just loved the last punch "and how do you feel about that?" I'm still getting quite a chuckle out of this one.

I think my cobb webbs are clean and you may visit me now.

- Debbie Stewart
Anonymous said…
You must check out the website and the book from www.squarefootgardening.com. I have fascinated by this and am reading the book and getting ready to help the kids do one of these. Just make sure you get the "All New Square Foot Gardening" and not the early version.
Anonymous said…
You may want to check out this website - for gardening and shopping! www.therapyrocks.com

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,