Skip to main content

Confession Remorse

I found myself doing something odd this weekend. I was a flurry of activity among the plantlife that I try to call a 'garden'. You know from my past admission, that I don't even pretend to be a gardener, so it was a bit unusual that I was so committed to putting flowers in, pulling more weeds out and generally prettying up the outside of my house. I do love to have the flower beds blooming, but I don't enjoy getting them that way; so my persistence was a bit unnerving. I got really creeped out when I went to the garage for the third time and attempted to start the weedeater while Hero Guy was saving people from barfing up a lung while getting their thrills at The fair.


I began to assess this sudden addiction to this frustrating task that will need to be fiddled with every day in the coming weeks and won't ever be fully completed until summer ends when the cold weather kills everything. It suddenly dawned upon me....I had admitted to myself and to the blogsphere that I am actually not very good at something. Now I have to prove to everyone that I can, in fact, perform well in spite of myself. Hmmm, I wonder if this is a first-born child, perfectionist-type of thing or is it perhaps a girl thing? Could it be a mom thing or just a personality-type thing? This drive to prove that I indeed have no shortcomings, that I can actually be perfect if I put my mind to it--it's just baffling, and exhausting to be sure.

I followed up with the questions - Why in the world do I care if somebody knows I'm not the world's greatest gardener; or housecleaner; or athlete; or mother; or Christian; or - on and on it goes. Why do I care myself? What change of character actually takes place if I admit those things? What will cleaning up the yard, or the house, or my act temporarily, actually do to make me a better person?

It made me remember a study that was shown on 60 Minutes that said the greatest weight loss success will be achieved when you have admitted to the public that you are on a weight-loss program. The threat of humiliation spurs us into action even if temporarily, and we will generally do whatever we have to in order to acheive the results we are looking for just to avoid the humiliation of failure. I also read similiar research in Dr. Levine's book, A Mind at a Time which deals with learning disabilities. His work with children proved that a child would rather not attempt something at all than to try and fail if the failure will lead to some sort of embarrassment.

My conclusion, once my yard was glowing with flowers, was that I, in fact, am at the core of myself, still childlike in some ways, especially when it comes to needing the approval of others. I suppose we are all like that to some extent, but I also realized something else. It was very handy to have a subliminal motivator to get something done that had been bugging me for the last few weeks. So tune in soon for more confessions--While you're reading, I'll be in a frenzy becoming a neat-freak, a health nut and just perfection in general.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I absolutely LOVE those pots! They are so cute, where did you get them? I would love something like that on my railing, I've been thinking about putting some kind of window boxes on the front porch railings to put flowers in. You did a great job and it looks adorable.
Unknown said…
Jennifer I love the pots too! You have such a knack for putting things in just the right spot! Great Eye! I could use some of your flair around here!

Your friend Thad is too hilarious.
the lizness said…
maybe that has something to do with "confession is good for the soul?" \

BTW - I'm a wooter and a zooter too!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,