Skip to main content

Small Town, Big Thrills

I live in what would be considered a small town, rural community. One of the highlights of living in a country-type setting is the town fairs and festivals that happen throughout the summer. The first one of the season for our community is a carnival that is hosted by the local volunteer fire department. Since Hero Guy is a member of one of the community volunter fire departments and ambulance services, we always do our best to support the 'brotherhood'. This afternoon while Hero Guy was getting ready for his shift as the on-call medic for the carnival, I took Little Chic over to ride the various roller coasters and bumper cars. Since Hero Guy was otherwise occupied and Brainy Boy was at a friends, and Yours Truly gets seriously motion sick, Little Chic had to brave the rides on her own. By the look on her face, you can see that wasn't a problem and the thrill seemed to be the same whether she did it solo or with a counterpart.

As we were dropping dollars here and there on the various games and foodstuffs, I became a bit solemn as I saw many people visiting what would be their one and only 'vacation highlight' for the entire summer. Now although my children have many places yet to visit in their lives, they have already had their share of vacation trips, nice hotel stays and adventures to places far beyond. What was an afternoon pastime that will quickly fade for us was the thrill that some of the other kids had been looking forward to all year. It also struck me as I was clutching on to Little Chic's hand so as not to lose her in the crowd, just how many elementary school-aged kids there were running to and 'fro without a parent in sight. Although the environment is generally festive and secure, we do have our share of unforunate events, and having kids running around unprotected still poses a threat.

Little Chic ended the day with the thrill of riding every single ride except for one she wasn't quite tall enough for. I ended the day remembering that I'm blessed to be living the life that I am.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Many events I attend I notice the exact same thing! Am I being overly protective when Camron says "But he gets to go off without his mom or dad"??....no way! I would NEVER forgive myself if something happened, that is my worse fear, losing sight of my child in a crowd, I never understand how parents could do that! UGH!
What a great picture! We totally missed the field days this year! TOO COLD!
~Sue
Anonymous said…
She sure looks like she is having a great time - cute picture!
Unknown said…
Now, those kinds of rides are right up my alley. It's so nice to see little Miss Caroline having a blast!
Anonymous said…
I always think of those things too when I see children who have not been blessed the way we have. I saw some of that at VBS this past week and it really made me sad. We had shirts for the kids that were $5 each. Well, the first day of VBS a few little boys came in and one of the pre-school boys said they didn't have shirts b/c they couldn't afford them. It just broke my heart so I got the decals and went to Wal-mart and got the shirts. I just think that there are times that we can help and when we can we should. abb

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha