Skip to main content

Heartbreak

I am overwhelmed with sadness to tell you that our sweet HyperDog died in an accident on Saturday morning. We've had our faithful little sentry for six years and our kids don't even remember life before her. We were crazy about her. She was an icon around our house, welcoming everybody who came near in an embarrassingly undisciplined way. We loved that about her. She heralded everybody who came within sight, and tried to gain rides in the vehicles of the oil man, the cable guy, the mail man, the UPS man, the drycleaner man, the flower delivery guy...well, you get the idea. She was the only dog I knew who was thrilled with the idea of getting a shot at the vet as it meant riding in the car to go see more people. She loved our house, she loved us, she loved the deer in the back yard, she loved the cat...even though the cat didn't love her back. She just loved.

She was the eternal little Swiffer Vac and dish pre-washer, believing that any and all crumbs were good to the last drop. Somehow the floor under our table never needed cleaning after dinnertime. She took her clean-up jobs very seriously and the size of her belly proved that fact. She even went a little overboard sometimes believing that the garbage can was within her jurisdiction. She firmly insisted that the purses and suitcases of any and all visitors were fair game though, and she was rewarded with many a package of gum snatched from an unwatchful owner.

We are heartbroken, we miss her, we've been crying. It has been heart wrenching to see my two wee ones mourn the loss of the first thing that they've been so close to. It has been a lesson in human emotion to see how they each deal with their grief. It's been giving me the opportunity to teach them about how God is with us especially when we are sad, that he has been getting us ready for this bad experience and that he'll make all of us able to love better after this is over. I sometimes wonder if God uses losing a pet to prepare us for the experience of losing a human loved one later on in our lives.

We have a little grave on the back hill that has already had lots of visits. We're going to be blue for a while. We're going to keep thinking we need to let the dog out or to feed her. We'll expect her to bark when somebody rings the doorbell. As I've told the kids, that's called "mourning." That's how we know we loved her.

Comments

w2wkb said…
Sis, I'm so Sorry. Love, William
Mary Ellen said…
I'm so sorry Jen - I'm sure it has been a very difficult weekend for all of you.
Unknown said…
Losing her can cause a loneliness unlike any other. May the love that surrounds your family be a source of comfort at this time.

Love & Prayers,

The Stewarts
Melanie said…
I am so sorry Jen. Pets become members of the family and the pain of losing one is so difficult. You will all be in my prayers.
Rochelle said…
Ugh. That is awful. I am SO sorry.
Anonymous said…
John, Jen, Eric and Caroline...I am so sorry that Max won't be there to greet me when I come this weekend. She was a jumper, and player, a snatcher...and a CUDDLER. It has helped me to remember to hold those I love closer, love those who might not love me back, and always have an attitude of positive friendliness. Everyone loved Max because she expected it..she just knew we wanted her to meet and greet us in her loving zany way. So we will visit her little grave and put flowers and something to remember her by. I love you...grammy
PandaMom said…
I am so sorry and know how painful it is to lose a beloved pet. My prayers are for your family's comfort and peace. (((hug)))
Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know you're hurting. I'll be praying for you.

If you feel like a distraction, check out my blog. You've been tagged.

Love and hugs,
tim said…
we are sad with you...these special friends seem to bond the family together in their own little world. although she's gone, i know you still feel and share the love that she brought your way.

thoughts and prayers,

tim and family
Anonymous said…
What a great tribute to her! When Camron, Damon and I visited Eric, Max took a liking to Damon. IT was SOOOO FUNNY! Damon said to Eric "I think your dog really likes me" and Eric declared "Damon she likes everybody!" And she sure did!!!

~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,