Skip to main content

Little Fish in the Big Pond


Little Chic is a team-type girl. If you can play it, join it, sign up for it or compete in it, Little Chic is the first participant. Today Little Chic played her first soccer tournament. She has been playing recreational soccer since she was four, but due to our steadfast determination not to drag the family all over creation, we've declined opportunities to play competitively at this point. Since recreational leagues don't generally participate in tournaments, this was a new experience.

Little Chic is used to being on the best team in her current league. She has had the same coach for four years, he plays competitively himself and is the varsity coach for our high school team. The consistent coaching combined with playing with the same teammates every season has turned her team into one with decent skills for their ages and experience. As a result, Little Chic's team generally wins their games easily. However playing against traveling teams, even with players of the same age, is a whole different level of competition. In her words today "we got crushed." She seemed to take it all in stride, other than the fact that Hero Guy had trouble not heckling from the sidelines. Despite the close bond between she and he, Little Chic has very little tolerance for 'dad-style' coaching. Shouts of "hustle", "push up" and "get moving" meet with scowls, protests and responses like "DAD, I AM TRYING" and him returning "You're not trying hard enough." I, on the other hand, realize that dad's motivation tactics are an irritant for Little Chic, so I attempt to direct him into encouraging her (like ignoring the mistakes and only pointing out the good plays) rather than criticizing. Then I begin trying to unruffle the feathers sticking up on the back of Little Chic's neck. My efforts don't work on either of them. Hero Guy thinks I'm not being blunt enough and Little Chic realizes I'm covering up for Dad.

It's a good lesson in balance. If you're familiar with James Dobson from Focus on the Family, he makes the point that God creates kids to need the firmness of Dad's manner combined with the nurturing of Mom's and that's what creates kids that are balanced and emotionally healthy. It's a good exercise in faith, working on my own relationship with the kids and letting Hero Guy interact in his own dad-ish way, trusting that God is keeping tabs on the situation and guiding both of us to be the kind of parents He made us to be.

Comments

Kelly Curtis said…
It is so hard to watch your child's team struggle, though, isn't it? My son's team last year was very talented. This year - definitely not. We all learned a lot this year about focusing on what's supposed to be the "point". I think sometimes we get more from our losses than our wins.

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...