Skip to main content

Blind Leading the Blind


My mom flew up from NC yesterday for a quick trip down to NYC (actually SUNY Purchase) to see a friend in a vocal concert at the Performing Arts Center. Since we don't know exactly where we're going, we're gonna give ourselves 6 hours to make a 3.5 hour trip. The directions look pretty straightforward, so we should have plenty of time for dinner.

This is Alyssa in the red sweater, the girl we are going to see. She might eventually be my step-sister of sorts, since she is the daugther of the man my mom is dating. Alyssa's dad, Ken (my mom's friend) is in the middle and that's my John beside him. This pic was taken at Thanksgiving, when we all got together to meet for the first time. That's a sliver of me in the orange.

We're heading right back home after the concert and reception, so we should hit the sheets around midnight, and get just enough shut-eye to entertain the kids with my mom tomorrow. On Sunday, my mom flies out of Syracuse around noon, so I'm going to be hitting the gas pump several times this weekend. At $2.57/gallon, I'll need to type all week just to pay for the gas!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Jen? I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but sometimes I don't see your Posts for several days. The last post I saw even early this morning was the post for Aspiring American Idol. I just wanted to make sure you understand if I don't post as often to you.

Your black thumb was just too funny! I think plants are literally afraid of me. The only kinds of plants I can keep in the house are the really nice plants with great personality who only like water about once every two weeks. We get along great!

Sounds like you are going to have a really nice weekend with your mom. Ken and Alyssa look like a great addition for your family. Hope all goes well with the drive and enjoy the show and reception! Here’s wishing you a “Happy Day”!

- Debbie S
Anonymous said…
Hey, do you know that you can walk to Fishers from SUNY Purchase? You are literally right on the road that takes you to their home. I could have given you perfect directions, wish I would have known. Hope your trip goes well, from your house to that spot is 3.5 hours - it always took us that coming to you from there...good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...