Skip to main content

WHO Stopped the Hamster Wheel?

It's kind of nice to have the rat race stopped unexpectedly sometimes. We woke up this morning to a blanket of snow, and apparently sleet happened last night as well. At 6:30 am there was a 2 hour delay for school and by 8:30, they had declared it closed for the day. Truthfully, from the viewpoint of our house, we can't figure out why there's no school because the road is clear and there isn't much more white stuff coming down. But on the good side: Cartoons all day (check), jammies till we feel like dressing (check), eating dry cereal in front of the TV (check), Social Studies report due today for Eric (delayed), Brownie Scouts after school (cancelled), Karate after Brownies (cancelled).

Now if I can just drag myself away from the Wiggles on TV, I won't feel like a loser by the end of the day!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well I am going to admit it was nice the kids had a delay. James who is almost 11 years old watched his younger brother and sister while I got more sleep. When I got up though I found that everyone had pop-tarts including our dog, Lulu.
Anonymous said…
Hey Jen, I just caught up on your wonderful bloggs today. For some reason I completely missed the butterfly kisses and Profile of a Genius. I just love the stories about your children. So, how was your day with the munchkins? Debbie S

Popular posts from this blog

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha...

Week 3 of half marathon training

This week brought very cold temperatures that caused a challenge for some of my runs. It is almost impossible for me to stay comfortably warm when it gets below 20 degrees. I did my first hill workout, which is meant to strengthen a different set of muscles and increase your speed. I did that on the treadmill on Monday because the weather was dangerously wet and we were in a flood state--I decided not to risk getting drenched by passing cars. The rest of the week had runs ranging between 3 and 5 miles. My week culminated with a 6 mile "long run". I had to put that off on Saturday because the temperature hovered around 14 degrees, and the weatherman promised a balmy 20 degrees on Sunday! I really don't like running on Sunday--it is a full day of church and family dinner and activities and I am usually too pooped out to take a long run. But I planned carefully, took some extra snacks to church to keep fueled up, and headed out the door while my sweet hubby fixed lunch for t...

Mixed Feelings

It's been a long time in coming, but as of this morning, I'm no longer a medical transcriptionist. I'm not sure how I feel about that...a little bit relieved, a little bit sad, a lot bit uncertain about whether I'll regret this decision. For the last year or so, I've found that the transcription work isn't fulfilling the need I once had to stay at home with my babies and have an income. I've increasingly felt that I need more interaction and less monotony. I've also felt the pressure of work that constantly needs to be done, with no sense of ever being really "finished." No matter how much work you've done for the day, there's always another note waiting to be transcribed. That goes for sick days, holidays, vacations days or any kind of days. This year, I've dabbled in substituting as a school monitor and office staff, and kind of found my niche in the last few weeks. I'll be working a couple of hours a day in one of the ...