Skip to main content

Whoa, Bessie! We've Discovered the Ponytail

Like many moms, I am in constant battle between micromanaging every aspect of the Short Peoples' existence and letting them handle things appropriately on their own. Since I have two kids at opposite ends of the independence spectrum, this is somewhat of a challenge for my control-freak nature. Brainy Boy is completely happy letting me fulfill my management needs by picking out his clothes and combing his hair. In his mind, if it fits, it matches. And as long as he can see through his bangs, his hair is tidy enough. And he'd just as soon let me bother with it all as bother with it himself.

Little Chic, on the other hand, has long considered herself a fashionista and as such, takes all matters of personal appearance into her own hands. That's scary when said fashion maven is three years old. And when she has one favorite outfit that she considers her uniform. So early on, we had to establish a few ground rules. The clothes need to be clan. The clothes need to fit. And the hair must stay out of the eyes.

Now, it was easy to manipulate these rules to my liking in the early days. I could conveniently keep the faded kitty-cat shirt on the bottom of the laundry pile. I could ask the hairdresser to cut the bangs a little shorter so it was impossible for them to fall eyeward. But then she caught on. She started asking about the shirt she hadn't seen in two weeks. She decided to grow her hair out. And I let her! What was I thinking?!

Once school started, it has gotten worse. I do occasionally hint that chocolate brown and black don't make the most attractive color combination, but other than that, I try to bite my tongue. And it's not the outfits that bother me so much. It's the hair. It's now gotten almost waist length. Believe me when I say that it is not a pretty site on an active 10 year old when hair is left to its own devices. Some days, I think it's Cousin Itt coming off the school bus calling me "Mom." Of course I've done my part to introduce clips, scrunchies and headbands. Sometimes they go to school in the appropriate place. But they never return. At the end of the day, the hair tie has somehow gone to hair tie abyss and is never to be seen again.

But this week was different. It was if I had never ever introduced the concept of a ponytail. Little Chic came in the bathroom before we left for school and asked me to put her hair up for her. "A high one ," she specified. I did, assuming that it would last for the first hour, and said my appropriate goodbyes to the scrunchie I'd never see again. But when she got off the bus, I saw a wonderful thing. The hair was fairly as I'd left it that morning! I started to jump with glee but I restrained myself. It's better to not notice the things you want to encourage. There's much more likelihood that it'll last if they think it's their own idea. The next day was the same. I'm pleased to report that it lasted all week. For the time being, Cousin Itt has disappeared and I'm hoping he has been inducted into the Fashion Hall of Shame, never to visit Little Chic again. Unless for Halloween.

Comments

Anonymous said…
she does have beautiful hair. if she (or you) gets bored with the ponytail, you could suggest the "topsy-tail". that's a cute but simple variation of the pony tail.
donna s.
PandaMom said…
I grew up with "high" ponytails even when they weren't really popular. They are just MUCH sassier! ; )

Thanks for always coming over to see me. I seriously have run out of blogging time! Love to hear from you!!!
Unknown said…
What can I say; you are one amazing and genius mom!
Mary Ellen said…
With a 6 year old daughter that has hair that falls about two inches past her waist and still growing, even with frequent trimmings - I can relate! The only time I let her wear it "down" is on Sunday's - otherwise it's in a braid, or braids, or pony tails or ponytails that are braided, etc. because I can't take the wailing and gnashing of teeth when I have to comb it all out after it has been worn down all day!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,