Skip to main content

Where Ya Been?!

I know, I know. I'm keeping the world in suspense as to my whereabouts for the last few days and ya'll are just too doggone polite to invade my privacy by asking. And where, O where did I get that weird road sign pointing both north & south in one direction?

If you must know the truth, the Fam and I took us a little jaunt up into the Adirondacks for a night of fall colored bliss. We just love us a little jaunt now and then. The Short People had a Friday and a Monday off school so we decided to get away. From what, I can't say exactly, but it was a good excuse nonetheless. I vetoed the idea of hauling the camper and insisted on a hotel with a hot tub. The pool was optional. I was the hero of the Short People. It turns out that it wasn't too much of a fuss with Muh Main Man once I promised him he could do the driving in my new Explorer. So we were all happy.We trekked up to a garnet mine which turned out to be the largest garnet mine in the world. It's also the place that supplied the cornerstone for the new Twin Towers project. It was a fun day, but let's just say I will not be wearing a 20 carat garnet jewel anywhere on my body. The stones were a little more industrial than that but we still got into the spirit of trying to strike it rich. Muh Main Man was only a little disappointed that he didn't find the stone that would let him retire tomorrow. Little Chic was by far the champion jewel digger and came home with quite a collection of the deep red pebbles.

We also did a little touring of Ft. William Henry in Lake George where Brainy Boy bought yet another very long, very pretend wooden musket. He's been dashing around the world ever since, hurling threats at any would-be terrorists and doing a great job of it, I might add. I did see a small four-year-old cower behind his momma as my own boy was looking particularly fierce at one point and he wasn't even using the caps that came with it.

I'll close with what was truly the highlight of the trip for us all. After a long and agonizing wait, Brainy Boy was finally able to see, order and actually eat a real, live German schnitzel. Ever since he saw the movie "Hoodwinked" where they sing The Schnitzel Song he and his friends have violently debated over exactly what is....a schnitzel. Is it a shish-ka-bob? Is it a sausage? No, it's a fried pork chop. Well, pork schnitzel is, anyway. Now Brainy Boy is just waiting to return to school tomorrow to gloat that he is in the know. He loves to be in the know. He gets that from his Dad, I'm sure.

Comments

Unknown said…
What a perfect "autumn" get-a-way!
Melanie said…
Sounds like a great time and the trees are just beautiful!
Anonymous said…
What a great picture
Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful weekend. The pictures look great and the one of the scenery is stunning.
Mary Ellen said…
I'm showing my ignorance...but if I had been asked I would have said a "schnitzel" was some kind of pastry dessert! Obviously I didn't have a clue...until now. "-)

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,