Skip to main content

Long Overdue Hello

Due to recent events, including birthdays, softball games and a weird migraine incident on Monday, I have not told you about one of the more exciting things that happened last week. I got to see a long-lost friend who was up visiting in my neck of the woods! We had known each other through middle school and high school and hadn't been in touch since my wedding, way back in 1989 (yeah, I know I look entirely too young to have been married in that year, but hey...) Any-who, I reconnected with Debbie in December 2005 via the blogsphere, and we've been in touch ever since! Debbie does amazingly awesome pottery and she brought me a glazed tile for my birthday that a friend of hers made - so I have my first very own handmade piece of artwork! It even says "Fresh Coffee" which shows how faithfully Debbie reads my blog.

You can imagine how shocked I was to learn that she was coming to visit the nether regions and that we'd be able to meet up. We ended up having breakfast together and then the whole fam met she and her husband later again that evening for ice cream and Muh Favorite Place. I would post a picture of the reunited duo, but I looked particularly frumpy in the picture. I'm blaming it on the skills of the very nice volunteer photographer who didn't suggest that I stand up straight. Oh...what the hay...I know I'll get lots of complaints about not posting a pic, so here goes my dignity...especially since she looks so darn good!

Comments

Mary Ellen said…
You are so funny, your last couple of sentences cracked me up! We've seen enough pictures that show the real you that a few not-so-flattering ones here and there won't ruin your image. "-)

I'm glad you set aside your pride and showed us the picture - how cool you and Debbie got to hang out, especially there, too funny.

If I can show that picture of me looking like a huge cow at the end of my pregnancy you can show this one. "-)

We ought to have a "The Worst Picture of Me" contest and have all our blogging friends post bad pictures of themselves and we vote to see who has the funniest one!
Unknown said…
It's always fun to meet up with old friends! I'm planning a trip to see my college roommate who I haven't seen for years!

Also, I LOVE Coldstone! I actually have a gift certificate in my purse just waiting to be used!
Unknown said…
You're such a stinker! I was just thinking how wonderful you looked with your beautiful tan and all and how I look so ghostly pale.

I had a great time and thanks for working us into your schedule.
Anonymous said…
You are awesome............ I admire your writing style........ Love Dad
PandaMom said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
PandaMom said…
Your dignity looks just fine to me! LOL...great to have a good time with old...er..I mean...long time friends! ; )
Melanie said…
That picture is not that bad. But, I do like Mary Ellen's idea to have "The Worst Picture of Me" contest! I'm sure most of us could come up with some pretty terrible pictures!
Anonymous said…
Jen, you always look great!!!!!

What a great visit you had, I would love to meet up with ol'friends from junior high!

~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,