Skip to main content

Day, Interrupted

I am not a morning person. Not by a long shot. So I was ever thankful when Muh Main Man agreed to run my Ma up to the airport at 5am so she could make her 5:50am flight this morning. As luck would have it, he got a serious medic call last night and was whooped by the time he got home. We switched roles and I agreed to take Ma if he would set the coffee pot up and also get the Short People dressed and to school. He thought that was a great deal. I wasn't so sure.

I fretted half the night that I would oversleep and got up bleary-eyed, threw on some clothes and headed straight to the coffee. Muh Main Man kept his end of the bargain and set up the coffee pot, but didn't have it start until departure time. In desperation, I clicked the button and held my cup under the spout as it drip-dropped x-tra strong brew into my cup.

We arrived at the airport in record time and against my better judgment, I left as I saw Ma approach the kiosk to check in. Twenty minutes later, just as I reached my street, my cell phone rang and it was Ma asking me to come back and get her. Apparently there was snafu. I made a U-turn, hauled back to the terminal and sat out front for 40 minutes while she worked her magic. I guess my presence did the trick because I left again without her and they squeezed her on a 7:30am flight. I arrived BACK home just in time to dress and deliver the Short People to school myself. What can I say? I was in martyr mode.

Needless to say, I've been in a fog all day. I would have gone back to bed but I had several errands to do and they were all scheduled at random intervals throughout the day, so it just isn't working for me. I'm already preparing to get my second wind so I can watch the American Idol finale tonight. And then I'll sleep. Until then, I'm a zombie.

Comments

Unknown said…
Reminds me of the song "There'd Be Days Like This, My Momma Said". Ah for a good dose of sleep.
Anonymous said…
OOOOOh! REALLY hate days like that!
Anonymous said…
At least we had a great time at Crossroads!

~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,