Wednesday, September 6

We Survived

The morning started a bit differently than I anticipated with me hitting the snooze button at least three times, causing a little rush getting ready for the first day of school. The excuse was valid--Hero Guy was out on a rescue squad call until midnight and I didn't get to sleep until he got home and told me all about it. I was quite proud of myself for putting things in high gear without inciting panic among the troops, and we delivered our two at the front door of the school in record time. Due to a 4-mile ride to school that takes 40 minutes via bus, Nice Mom drives the kids each day. They think I'm Mean Mom because I won't also pick them up, but I figure 20 minutes home is a good character-builder and I can't get them home much quicker because of traffic anyway.

We took our sweet smiling son into his classroom as he proudly invited us in and showed us around. We had to slink back to our daughter's classroom quietly because it just won't do for an almost nine-year-old to have her parents spying on her in class.

From then on the day got tougher for me. Fourth and Fifth grades just aren't what they used to be. I had to meet 10 other mourning (*ahem* celebrating) moms for breakfast as the other patrons looked on and chuckled at our gleeful faces. Then I dragged myself down to the nail shop to get that manicure I always get on the first day of school (actually usually it's a pedicure, but decided to switch it up). I completely ignored the fact that today is Anti-Procrastination Day (according to our local radio station) and dragged my feet until I could put off my transcription no longer. It turned out quite well, actually since Hero Guy came home unexpectedly due to a mid-day motor vehicle accident/car fire/diabetic coma that he had to treat (all the same passenger/patient) and he needed to change into fresh clothes. Without even trying, I looked as if I had been typing my fingers off all morning! He didn't ask, I didn't tell.

Once kid-return time came, I waited at the end of the driveway for about a half-hour so as not to miss that first-day-off-the-bus picture. The bus run always takes significantly longer the first day as they try to get everybody to the right houses and such. Luckily they both emerged in fine spirits, seemingly happy with the day, the teachers, the classmates. If only that will continue on into next week and the next and then the next.

6 of Your THINKS:

Panda-Mom said...

Glad the kiddos made it OK! Looks like you live in a gorgeous area from the trees behind the bus! I saw in your "library" that you read Redeeming Love. I read that about three years ago and could NOT put it down! I even cried through the last 4 or 5 chapters. At the time we were in the thick of waiting for our Panda-Girl, so the whole infertility thing hit home with me. Also, the moonlight "dance" that she did just brought me to tears. So when are you going to post pics of YOU? Maybe we could see those nails...; )

mary ellen said...

Love Caroline's boots! That's a great picture, and either they are ignoring you or they are completely into each other's conversation. Glad you "survived" your first day alone, sounds like it was a tough one.

Did the accident/fire/diabetic person survive all that???

Mommy Spice said...

Just stopped by to read your blog. My baby's just in preschool. I can't imagine the day I wait for her to come off the bus. Wow.

Debbie said...

When all else fails, have breakfast with friends, better yet get your nails done. That's toughing it out in style. Glad everyone had a good day.

Anonymous said...

It sure was a great time at breakfast. We had moms of college, highschool, elementary, Kindergartners and of course a little preschooler! It was awesome listening to all the 1st day of school stories and then of course consoling those Kindergarten moms! Next week they will be smiling!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

Mark & I love your writing. I could really relate to this one and "Hoeing Out"!! Mark says he is looking forward to saying hello to Hero Boy (his New name, don't ask me why...must be a guy thing.)