Skip to main content

We Survived

The morning started a bit differently than I anticipated with me hitting the snooze button at least three times, causing a little rush getting ready for the first day of school. The excuse was valid--Hero Guy was out on a rescue squad call until midnight and I didn't get to sleep until he got home and told me all about it. I was quite proud of myself for putting things in high gear without inciting panic among the troops, and we delivered our two at the front door of the school in record time. Due to a 4-mile ride to school that takes 40 minutes via bus, Nice Mom drives the kids each day. They think I'm Mean Mom because I won't also pick them up, but I figure 20 minutes home is a good character-builder and I can't get them home much quicker because of traffic anyway.

We took our sweet smiling son into his classroom as he proudly invited us in and showed us around. We had to slink back to our daughter's classroom quietly because it just won't do for an almost nine-year-old to have her parents spying on her in class.

From then on the day got tougher for me. Fourth and Fifth grades just aren't what they used to be. I had to meet 10 other mourning (*ahem* celebrating) moms for breakfast as the other patrons looked on and chuckled at our gleeful faces. Then I dragged myself down to the nail shop to get that manicure I always get on the first day of school (actually usually it's a pedicure, but decided to switch it up). I completely ignored the fact that today is Anti-Procrastination Day (according to our local radio station) and dragged my feet until I could put off my transcription no longer. It turned out quite well, actually since Hero Guy came home unexpectedly due to a mid-day motor vehicle accident/car fire/diabetic coma that he had to treat (all the same passenger/patient) and he needed to change into fresh clothes. Without even trying, I looked as if I had been typing my fingers off all morning! He didn't ask, I didn't tell.

Once kid-return time came, I waited at the end of the driveway for about a half-hour so as not to miss that first-day-off-the-bus picture. The bus run always takes significantly longer the first day as they try to get everybody to the right houses and such. Luckily they both emerged in fine spirits, seemingly happy with the day, the teachers, the classmates. If only that will continue on into next week and the next and then the next.

Comments

PandaMom said…
Glad the kiddos made it OK! Looks like you live in a gorgeous area from the trees behind the bus! I saw in your "library" that you read Redeeming Love. I read that about three years ago and could NOT put it down! I even cried through the last 4 or 5 chapters. At the time we were in the thick of waiting for our Panda-Girl, so the whole infertility thing hit home with me. Also, the moonlight "dance" that she did just brought me to tears. So when are you going to post pics of YOU? Maybe we could see those nails...; )
Anonymous said…
Love Caroline's boots! That's a great picture, and either they are ignoring you or they are completely into each other's conversation. Glad you "survived" your first day alone, sounds like it was a tough one.

Did the accident/fire/diabetic person survive all that???
Mommy Spice said…
Just stopped by to read your blog. My baby's just in preschool. I can't imagine the day I wait for her to come off the bus. Wow.
Unknown said…
When all else fails, have breakfast with friends, better yet get your nails done. That's toughing it out in style. Glad everyone had a good day.
Anonymous said…
It sure was a great time at breakfast. We had moms of college, highschool, elementary, Kindergartners and of course a little preschooler! It was awesome listening to all the 1st day of school stories and then of course consoling those Kindergarten moms! Next week they will be smiling!!
~Sue
Anonymous said…
Hi Jen,

Mark & I love your writing. I could really relate to this one and "Hoeing Out"!! Mark says he is looking forward to saying hello to Hero Boy (his New name, don't ask me why...must be a guy thing.)

KW

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,