Skip to main content

Unchained Melody

Yesterday brought a new, unprecedented thrill to our household. Little Chic flew off the bus lugging not only her backpack, but her new viola. She has been looking forward to joining the orchestra, one of the privileges of fourth grade, ever since last year when she had her orientation at the "big school" i.e., the building that houses 4th-6th grades. We've never quite figured out the fascination with the viola, rather than the violin, but she's never swayed! We paid the bargain price of $50 for a school year's worth of lessons, including the viola rental and yesterday, she officially became part of the orchestra.

Tall PTA Friend saw Little Chic during her first lesson and observed that Little Chic was quite enthralled, wide-eyed, soaking it all in. In fact, school pictures occurred on the same day, and Little Chic had to briefly leave the lesson to have her picture taken, and she was not happy to be interrupted.

The second she got into the house, the case was on the floor, opened and she began playing for oh, let's just say, the next SIX HOURS. It was actually impressive. Orchestra Conductor only had about 15 minutes left once the instruments were distributed, to actually show how to hold the instrument, use the bow and such, but Little Chic was using all four strings playing scales all the way up after about half an hour. I was prepared to have blood running out my ears from all the screeching, but I have to admit, there wasn't too much of that. It looks like she might actually be good on this instrument. She has been dying to play something, anything since she was wee tiny and we've been through a myriad of recorders, harmonicas, even a miniature guitar--she's even been yearning for a piano. So this will work out well. This viola is much smaller than a piano, the lessons are cheap and it has kept her totally busy for the last two afternoons. I'm not thinking her 30 minutes of practice will be much of a problem. Yet.

Comments

tim said…
go Little Chic
Anonymous said…
That's great! Next time there is a family reunion she and Kaitlyn can play a duet.

I don't find listening to a violin being practiced annoying at all, much better than a loud squeeking instrument (like a clarinet, which I played for years). I don't know how my parents stood having 3 girls learning 3 different instruments - yikes!
Rochelle said…
Alright Little Chic! I started the violin in the 3rd grade & played for many years....although piano is now my instrument of choice. As an aside... A little old lady in one of my dad's church's was not such a big fan of mine...she used to get up & leave every time I played because she couldn't stand the sound!!! Ha!
Anonymous said…
Speaking of "big-school", yesterday Chandler asked me if I was "home-schooled" or "big-schooled?"
PandaMom said…
Sounds a little bit like you might have a prodigy on your hands! She really seems to have picked up quickly. Keep us posted on the progress!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,