Skip to main content

New Horizons

I did a weird thing today. I put my application in at my kids' school district to be a substitute for support personnel (things like teacher's aide, cafeteria worker, office staff, health office). I've been increasingly stir-crazy in my 10-year stretch as a medical transcriptionist working out of my home, and the lack of interaction when I actually work as much as I should, is taking a toll on me. It's strange because I actually really need my own space at times, but all-in-all, I am a people person.

I've actually considered my transcription job a dream come true, an answer to prayer, a blessing that I was handed by God. When Brainy Boy was tiny, I was still working at my 50-60 hour a week career, dragging home exhausted and feeling like I wasn't doing a great job at anything. I wasn't able to continue putting insane hours into my work but I was gone from home to much to be Mom as much as I wanted. After months of begging God for an answer, He literally dropped an at-home transcription job into my lap. It's been a blessing ever since. I've always been thankful to be able to sit down and work whenever fit my schedule best and sick days have never been a problem. I've also been acutely aware of the scores of women who relate that they would love to have a job like mine, and I've never lost sight of the advantage I have.

I'm finding though, that after 10 years of looking at the same screen with the same earphones plugged in, the tedium is causing me to lose momentum. I'm finding every little excuse to hop up and change the laundry over, answer every phone call that comes in, recheck my email (again), see who is on instant messaging - anything to add a little variety. So I'm thinking it might be time for a change of scenery. I figure that if I'm a substitute, I can take a few days here and there, try out a few different assignment options and see how it goes. For now, I'm keeping my transcription job, and frankly after handing in the papers this morning, I began to have my doubts. I came right home after working out and sat down and typed till the kids got home. I kept noting how I made twice the money in half the time that I would in an outside "no brainer" job, which is all I'm really looking for at this point. I even considered applying for a part-time bank teller position (which I think I would totally love except for the getting held up at gunpoint thing that happened to my sister), but the schedule wouldn't coordinate with the school calendar quite as nicely.

So we'll see how this goes. I'm not sure what I think yet, but who knows - by the time they verify that I am not a serial killer and get my fingerprints on file at the FBI, I just might have pecked what is left of my fingers down to nubbins, maybe I can just direct traffic as a crosswalk guard or something.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good for you Jennifer! You would definitely make a great addition to the campus if they needed you!
~Sue
Anonymous said…
I can see you doing any of those things, and being good at it plus enjoying it, knowing you like I do - much more than I can picture you typing with no people interaction. I hope it works out for you!
PandaMom said…
Being at your kids' school would be a fun break and all the people you'd get to talk to would find out about all the "amazing" people you have met through your blog. HA!
tim said…
you'll be a blessing to all the little guys and gals. hope it works out. the finger-printing is not so bad except for the big cop holding your hand.
Rochelle said…
Sounds like a great idea Jen. I'm sure the typing from home can be stifling at times for a 'people' person.
Unknown said…
I say follow your heart and no need to look back. I know you will be such a blessing where ever you go. Best Wishes.
Anonymous said…
Wow Jen, time has been good to you and your family! I'm glad you're doing well. You've just inspired me to get off my butt and create a blogspot for my crew. I hope you get the new job - it sounds like it would be perfect for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,