Skip to main content

Wack-A-Mole

"When life whacks you so hard your head flies off, sew it back on and keep going."~ Mary Pierce

There have been several times in my life when I felt like life had whacked me a good one. One of the first was when newly married, my adventure-seeking hunk of a husband decided electrical engineering wasn't enough of a thrill for him, and a quick tour in the Air Force would be a lot more intriguing. Being the thoughtful planner that I am, I had intentionally not married a serviceman, a traveling salesman, a professional athlete or any other person of such vocation. I wanted stability and sameness. Instead I got the opportunity for my faith to grow.

The second was when I found out I was unexpectedly pregnant. I had married with the full intention of never having children and seven years into my marriage, I was still resolved. I was shocked, frightened and in total denial as the news sunk in. I gave myself a weekend to get used to the idea of having a life I never intended, and then I pulled myself together and got down to business--I ran straight to the bookstore to buy a baby name book and "What to Expect When You're Expecting". I only knew those books existed because I had recently watched the movie "Nine Months" and reading books about pregnancy was what an ignoramous supposedly did. I wanted control and predictability. Instead, I got a life richer and fuller than I had ever imagined.

The last was when I found out at the age of 30 that my parents were divorcing. The uncertainty and embarrassment was overwhelming. I couldn't imagine how life would change, what I would say to people, how I would explain it to my children. I had been self-sufficient and independent. Suddenly I was insecure and sad. It was during that time that my husband rose to the occasion and became a pillar of strength that I had never needed before. I wanted security and support. What I got was confirmation that I had married the right person and that without a doubt, we would be married 'till death do us part'.

Comments

tim said…
so awsome that you married such a great guy. i'm sure you have been the same for him.
i appreciate your openness about your parents. and while it is an incredible hurt to you, to those of us looking on who know them; we think of them as the wonderful people they are. while their paths have changed to a direction they feel is best for them; they love you and you love them..that hasn't changed (it has no doubt grown) and that's what those looking on, who have always admired your family, see.

sorry for the uninvited input, I don't have any authority or experience to speak to a situation so difficult, but do so appreciate all of your family.
Jana said…
It's amazing how life can go so much the opposite of what we've planned! Great take on this quote!
God has a way of pulling us back, even when we cant seem to find him. It sounds like you have a good grasp on that.
Thanks for sharing your heart on this quote, I enjoyed reading it!
Heather
Unknown said…
It's amazing to see you now and how you view the not so easy to handle things this life has brought. Very nice post and thank you for sharing from the bottom of your heart.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,