Skip to main content

Signs of the Times

It's amazing how much a decade can change a person. I was thinking yesterday about my life ten years ago, and I hardly recognize the old me. Practically every element of my life is different than it was just a few short years ago. Here are some of the things I recognized:

1) Then I thought I didn't want to be a mother. Now I'm so happy God trusted me to be the mom of a 10-year-old boy and almost 9-year-old girl.
2) Then I was quite private and dignified about bodily functions such as using the restroom or adjusting my underwear. Now terms like "fart, wedgie and poop" are completely normal everyday language.
3) Then I was lonely a lot. Now I can't even remember the last time I was lonely.
4) Then I had a career that consumed my life and I loved it. Now I can't imagine returning to the job that required so much time and energy for something so insignificant.
5) Then I didn't have very many close friends because I worked too much and they all had kids. Now I can't even count the number of good friends that I have, most of whom I met through my childrens' school or activities.
6) Then I didn't have a church that I thrived in. Now I have a church where I get spiritually fed and and supported every time I attend. When I don't attend, several people check to make sure we're okay.
7) Then I shopped almost every day to combat boredom. Now I don't even remember what being bored felt like.
8) Then I thought PTA moms had no life. Now I just finished a two-year term as PTA president contributing to the education of mine and other people's kids.
9) Then I never bothered going to parks. Now I rarely miss a week going to a park, sitting in the sunshine, watching my kids enjoy the beautiful weather.
10) Then I was 10 pounds lighter, but I thought I was way too fat. Now I'm 10 pounds heavier, and I think I look pretty decent for a chick my age.

It's weird how time changes us, mellows us, makes us richer, deeper people than we were before. Even if life isn't perfect, it's still generally very good if you stop long enough to take a peek.

Comments

Unknown said…
You are such a hoot! Ah, I can't say the 'f' word but have another term for that which I will keep to myself. You on the other hand have such a way of expressing yourself that it all seems dandy and makes me chuckle.
Anonymous said…
You hit that one 100% dead on! When I used to come visit you from the suburbs of NYCity ten years ago I would go home and tell Rick how sorry I felt for you because you were so lonely - by the last time we visited you, about five years ago, you were so happy. You were happy before, just because you are the kind of person who chooses to be happy in whatever state you are in and you had a good hubby, but that last time it was a different happy - Mommy, church, friends, etc. had made your life complete. So glad your life evolved into the current one.
Susannah said…
What a wonderful post, and equally wonderful comments. Wow! I feel so honored to evesdrop on all of this. Oh, by the way, pleased to meet you. Sounds like you have a very fulfilling life. Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,