Skip to main content

Fast Friends

I just can't seem to help myself. I'm a die-hard list girl, calendar keeper, scheduler of activities--I think I was born to be a concierge. I just can't seem to let the days of summer laze along without knowing what is supposed to be happening. Even if we aren't running ourselves ragged with outside activities, I'll resort to lists like "bathroom cleaning day" or "mopping floor day". Today was "Friend Day" the weekly event that we have in summer among all the other scheduled activities I make a regular practice like "Library Day" and "Park Day".

It is always enlightening to have somebody else's kids in your house. You never know what type of impression your house will make on them, and they are sure to let you know whether you live in a hovel or a mansion compared to their own abode. Today Little Chic had "Best Friend Forever" from school and Brainy boy invited "Cool Kid" from church.

BFF walks in and comments that our living room is her very favorite room. The vaulted knotty pine ceiling and beams running through apparently made an impression. Little Chic asked her if she'd like to pet a real bird. Well, BFF is going to operate the animal rescue shelter that Little Chic is going to serve as vet when they are grown, so being a natural animal lover, BFF thought petting a bird sounded grand. Imagine her horror when Little Chic leads her over to the wall where there is mounted none other than a full-sized wild turkey that Hero Guy shot during hunting season. BFF quickly withdrew her acceptance to pet the bird and commented that seeing it really made her feel really sad. Little Chic reassured her that it's actually very good that people shoot wild turkeys because then there are too many of them, and they begin to starve and kill themselves. BFF did admit that putting the turkeys out of their misery was indeed better than forcing them to commit suicide, but it still made her feel sad.

As they were retreating to Little Chic's room to play, I heard BFF explain, "My mom told me to be very polite. So if your mom makes something, I'm supposed to say that it's very delicious and that she is an excellent cook." Needless to say, Little Chic and BFF did their own snack fixing for the afternoon.

Comments

Unknown said…
Children, that's as close to innocence as you can get. I love their clear unclouded statements.
Anonymous said…
I love kids honesty, even when it's not so great when directed at you, as long as their not cruel I love their straight forwardness - just cracks me right up!
Susannah said…
"I think I was born to be a concierge." I can totally relate to this comment of yours. I am forever organizing something. My husband is just the opposite... a "fireman," a responder. I think I'm finally learning how to do things his way and "go with the flow." But it's taken me YEARS!
Anonymous said…
Very cute!!!!
I remember my BFF at 8/9 years old!
~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,