Skip to main content

Busy Beaver

Summer life is about to get interesting. We have a myriad of personalities living at this address, and I'm getting stretched from stem to stern in an effort to keep the world harmonious. Little Chic is an on-the-go kind of girl, needing some type of project, activity or schedule to look forward to in order to avoid the depths of despair induced by boredom. Brainy Boy is the quintessential homebody, having the dream of staying home absolutely every day, not leaving the house (or at least the yard) for any reason whatsoever, and going to bed at night without ever setting foot off the property lines. I am somewhere in the middle, going a bit stir crazy without some variety, but needing some time at home base to keep life organized and running like a fine-tuned instrument.

In an attempt to keep things as balanced as possible, I've lined up a variety of free or low-cost activities for Little Chic. Brainy Boy won't have to enroll in any summer camps or team sports, but he will have to endure the ride(s) to and fro in order to deliver and retrieve Little Chic to the various activities. One dilemma is that for some reason, many of those free/low-cost activities we've selected run on the same weeks, giving some weeks 2 or 3 lovely choices and leaving other weeks with nothing to do. In pure Little Chic fashion, choice is not in her vocabulary--she wants to do all of them since one does seem to end before the next one begins.

For instance, tomorrow, we can arrive at softball camp at 10am, leave at noon for a bite to eat and some errands before running to soccer camp which goes from 3-6 each day. Ditto for Tuesday, but throw in a haircut for Brainy Boy and myself. Wednesday tells the same story, but add in a 10:30 appointment, a 12:30 playdate and a 6:30 parenting class. Thursday brings a long-awaited Mother/Daughter book club at 7pm and Friday hails with a 9:30 appointment (which can be paused for the 10:00 delivery to softball). The only saving grace is that Friday concludes with a monthly girls dinner out for Yours Truely.

Dilemma #1 - Choosing--do we choose 1 activity and not the others? If so, what penalty to put on the complaints of boredom? And do I really want Little Chic 'helping' me with all my chores that I could buzz through alone if she were at all the activities? And they are practically FREE.

Dilemma #2 - Convincing Brainy Boy that transporting Little Chic back and forth does indeed constitute "staying home." What difference does it make if you read lying on the couch or sitting in the van?

Dilemma #3 - Not becoming the unpaid "Activities Director" filling up absolutely every moment of every day of everybody else's exisitence in order for the world to be an okay place. But busy means tired at the end of the day. And that means early bedtime. Or maybe just lots of whining.

Comments

Kelly Curtis said…
I'm glad our house isn't the only one that sometimes struggles for harmony! Ever been to a Grump Fest?
Unknown said…
I know our Kristy was fidgeting at the beginning of summer when she was not working/looking for a job. If she is not on the go at all times, she is definitely bored. She's been working quite a few double shifts running circles around me. I don't know how the youngsters do it.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,