Skip to main content

Who Coins the Phrase?

Whoever coined the phrase "stay-at-home mom" obviously didn't have one. Although I do medical transcription at home part-time, I do consider myself a stay-at-home parent since I can do my transcription whenever I want within the 24-hour day. However, since my schedule is flexible, everybody figures that I have so much more available time than any of the moms with paid-employment, and therefore all my stay-at-home time gets eaten up by away-from-home activities. Sometimes I think I would actually get to be at home more often if I took an office job and could use the excuse that I was too busy with work to do everybody else's extras. I don't complain though--I've made financial choices in order to be able to quit full-time work and I am doing what I need to be and want to be doing right now. I can say though, instead of working the typical 8-hour shift and then coming home and being done with work, I get up at 7am and crash around 11pm, just after the last transcription file is uploaded.

Some of the stay-at-home activities I've participated in since Monday were:
1) Got a mammogram at 8:45am because after all, I am a stay-at-home mom so my schedule can be flexible.
2) Took a home-cooked meal to a cancer patient at our church because I stay at home, and don't need to run through the drive-through to pick up dinner.
3) Chaperoned 50 4th graders on their 1-mile walk to the ice cream shop at 12:20pm because I don't have to leave work to help out.
4) Went on an all-day trip to the state capital with 100 4th-graders because I don't have to take a day off work to go.
5) Volunteered to help a 100-kid 3rd grade class picnic all day because I don't have to take a day off work to attend.
6) Took a kid to a podiatrist appointment where I found out he has to have foot surgery and didn't have to ask for time off to do it.

This was not an unusual week, other than the class trip/picnic which are usually filled in with other school activities that need my help or emergencies that come up like sick kids, household errands and other such that everybody has to juggle. My point is that whatever amount of time is available gets filled up with doing important things and working in a job with set hours would not let me caretake for my family the way I want. It would bring more money for sure, but I'd either be sending my kids along on these activites with somebody else or putting myself over the brink trying to do everything and not being able to do everything well.

All my busyness this week made me think about a post I've been reading on the "Mommy Wars" where people banter back and forth on the virtues of staying at home versus returning to work. I have no urge to enter the banter because I think people get defensive when they are questioning their own choices. I am firm and sure of my work status because my choice supports the values I believe in; I don't have the need to convince other people to see things my way so that I'll feel okay about it. I have many friends who stay at home and just as many that have returned to work. We are each friends because of the type of people that we are and whether we work or not has nothing to do with it. I think the only war part is the internal one where people do things that they aren't sure are good for their families and they try to convince themselves and others that it's really okay. That conflict can occur when staying at home even though you need to work to help support your family or choosing to work simply to afford yourself a luxurious lifestyle at the expense of your little ones.

For not being one to enter into the 'mommy war', I've certainly said my piece. "And that's all I have to say about that." Forrest Gump

Comments

Peter said…
I am not privy to the "mommy wars" and I am glad for it. People need to make decisions in life, some hard, some easy. Arguing over the internet about whether that decision is good or not seems pointless, and I think you are right to avoid it. If there is a little voice in your head saying this is wrong, it probably is.
To cast judgement on an idividuals decisions with out knowing their circumstance is foolish.
Advice: Wisemen do not need it and a fool will not heed it.
JenLo said…
Great quote, Peter.
Anonymous said…
I am a busy stay at home mom too! Although both my boys are at school, I am there just about everyday! I feel that I am VERY lucky and thank my hubby everyday to be able to stay at home!
Working moms tell me that they are happy that I am in their child's class to help out. Sure, they wish they could be there and try their hardest but just can't financially and YES I do give up ALOT to stay at home. I am just glad I can be there, not just for my son, but for the WHOLE class.
Jennifer, I am wiped out this week but I am glad I went to the class picnics and Albany! I wouldn't have it any other way. I have met some awesome friends (you) being a stay at home mom, so I wouldn't change it for the world!
~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha