Skip to main content

Waaaay Behind Schedule

Yeah, well, most of you know from previous posts that I am not a real strong candidate in the Home Ec department. I require cleanliness and attempt at tidiness, but the decorating situation at the Olsen's is nothing to make a special trip for. I love having a house that looks like it is from the pages of Home & Garden or even the Log Home catalog, but truly I hate nothing more than getting it that way. Once it's done, I'm all about it, enjoying every minute, but the process of decorating, arranging and fixing up just does not hold any creative appeal for me whatsoever.

It is with this preface that I admit that today, yes, May 11, I am just taking down the last of my winter decor. That would include 2 or 3 snowman knickknacks and a couple of garland sprays that have pinecones and other such 'cold weather' connotations. I tell myself and others that I take down my Christmas decorations halfway through January and I take down my snowman stuff before Easter. Then I put up my fall stuff the first week of school, Thanksgiving stuff right after Halloween and Christmas stuff right after Thanksgiving. BUT the truth is, I just love calendars, schedule books, dates and lists, so it simply gives me a chance to mentally jot myself a note. Quite frankly, I could really care less about when or if I ever get the stuff up OR down, and the only thing that springs me to action is embarrassment when I know in advance that someone will be stopping by and will take notice. That someone this weekend, is my mother, who is a decorating fiend. She, like her own mother, loves decorating, just for the sake of putting things up and taking things down. Now she isn't judgmental at all, and other than a silent chuckle, she wouldn't care if I just kept my snowmen up until it was winter again, but I do have some pride, people. So for that reason, I'll be gritting my teeth, digging out my box(es) of lovely spring/summer themed candles, pictures, berry garland, etc., and will sit with a self-satisfied smile as I watch Survivor tonight, surrounded by things that represent the season that is already fading into the next one. I just have to ignore that little voice that says "what's wrong with you?....This should have been done ages ago". I answer to myself that decorating doesn't get the laundry done and then I feel so much better.

Comments

Anonymous said…
jennifer
i am with you. if it were not for a calendar, you would not know what holiday/season we were in at my house. i really love the holidays/seasons, i just do not love bringing all that STUFF out of the basement. my decorating motto...less is more:)
donna
Anonymous said…
Hey there you! I love you just the way you are and would not have you any other way. At least you are into the whole seasonal 'THING'. I love Christmas and that's the time of year when I really burst. I have my tree up before Thanksgiving and our outside lights are normally up by then too. I'm really good about taking down the Christmas decorations sometimes before the 1st of Jan.
That said. I normally don't get into the whole seasonal decorating bit. What's up is up and normally stays that way year round. Hat's off to you from my corner of the world to yours!

- Debbie Stewart

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,