Skip to main content

Magnet Ball

I just spent one of the most miserable hours watching a common children's game. Technically it was soccer, but routinely call it 'magnet ball'. I love this term, because it relates to pretty much every sport that the 10-and-under crowd plays. It can be used with basketball, T-ball, soccer, or any other game where the children should be playing as a team. It comes from the tendency for each player to completely forget any drill, practice or position they've learned and just spring into action, glue themselves shoulder-to-shoulder into a little clump and follow the ball around the field. Not much gets accomplished in a game like this, but all the players come off the field smiling because they got lots of glimpses of the ball in between everyone else's feet.

The misery wasn't because of the action on the field, but because of the weather. We've had a string of days from paradise, and this morning's blustery, rainy conditions made me slowly freeze to death as I huddled on the side yelling things like "pass" and "shoot". It's especially hard to take the dreary weather on the heels of sublime conditions, and it really makes me cross to hear comments like 'we really needed the rain' or 'it'll be good for the flowers'. I want the Garden of Eden, people- all sunshine, warm temperature, no rain, lush vegetation!

So, I'll be staying inside today, perhaps jetting out for a quick tanning session to pretend I'm at the beach and reveling in the fact that Caroline's team won the game 11-0 because the entire team played offense. Since they had longer legs and ran faster than the opposite team's players, defense wasn't really that critical this time around.

Seriously, Caroline has a dedicated, skilled coach who really would prefer to have the kids spend the the season in practice with no games at all. He has taught them solid basic skills and many of them play beyond the typical ability for this age. But since they are 9 and under, it takes them a game or two to remember how to put those drills into play during a game. The coach is so popular that he has had the same basic team for the last 4 years or so. Each season, his players request to be on his team so many of the same kids are playing together year after year. I'm hoping soccer ends up being Caroline's sport of choice, because a) I don't mind watching it b) she's played long enough already that by high school she might be really good c) a college scholarship would be very handy. No pressure here!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so sorry Jen. You really need to consider moving here during those miserable months, or at least visiting more often. You would love hanging out on the boat where we do. We all hate coming home, we just always want to stay out longer. Come and join us!
-Charlene
Anonymous said…
I'm sure a nice hot cup of something sounds good for you right now.

I hear ya when it comes to college scholarships. Lauren has been able to get some help but we're still not sure where she's going.

- Debbie Stewart
Anonymous said…
You are describing our weather perfectly, we are so all sunshine right now we are actually in a drought, which has done away with the lush vegetation - we are looking pretty brown everywhere there is not a sprinkler - but it sure is making Scott and Rick happy! At least you know the cold rainy days HAVE to be about over and the warm temps will be back to stay for a few months. Tell John its time for a trip to FLORIDA!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,