Skip to main content

Gotta Love those Gadgets

As mentioned in an earlier post this week, our weather has been exceedingly beautiful. In fact, every year I live in upstate NY, our weather seems to get milder. We have actually had a decent spring with summer-like temperatures occasionally. With this, brings about profuse complaining from Little Chic who is perpetually hot. Combine that with school buildings that still have their heat on full-blast as if we live at the Arctic Circle. Under normal winter conditions, Little Chic will fuss and whine about having to wear socks of all things with her shoes, protest loudly about having to wear long sleeves much less any sort of jacket and insists that her legs will NOT get cold while wading through snow on the way to church if she wears a dress without stockings.

Because of her propensity for imaginary hot flashes I thought it a bit odd that she has been dragging out summer shirts these last few weeks and pairing them with, of all things, pants! Today when I asked why she didn't wear the adorable new skort (which she usually loves) that went with the new top she had on (with long pants), she informed me that her legs are ......"hairy".

Well....that is all this Mom needed to hear. First of all, I remember being at that stage in about 3rd or 4th grade and since the predetermined age of shaving when I was growing up was 12, I was in a pickle. I hit adolescence/puberty at a way-too-early age, so by the time I was 9 or so, I had the same problem as Little Chic. I remember being absolutely mortified, but luckily, the powers that be had pity and bent the rules at bit to remedy my own fuzzy situation. Second, as anyone who knows me can attest, I can hardly refrain from the opportunity to legitimately have an excuse to try out some new gadget or product that I've seen on the market. And let me tell you, that VEET thingy has just been trying to jump in my basket every single time I'm in the hair-removal aisle. The problem is, I'm not into the whole bother of cream dipilatories, since the razor in the shower is just too convenient so I really didn't have a proper reason to buy it.

BUT, Little Chic is just waaay too young to be trusted with a sharp, slicing device on her skin, so although I don't want to rush her into maturity, she came up with the problem on her own, and I had the perfect solution (hee-hee). So we made an emergency stop by CVS and found a thrilling discovery! Apparently Nair has jumped on the bandwagon and now has their own little fake shaver to use with their hair-removal cream and it was on sale (for half price!) So for $3.86, I got to bond with my daughter as we went over the finer points of female grooming, she'll be able to wear a skirt tomorrow and I got to satisfy the urge I've been resisting since the VEET razor came out last summer.

Oh, and I also got to explain the expression "soft as a baby's butt". She thought that was pretty funny.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Funny and cute. I love it that your such a gadget junky. It makes for an amusing read. I have bent to a couple infomercials on TV and have never been disappointed by my purchase. There really are some cool things out there. So the Nair thing worked well on her legs. I have always wondered about the Veet thing.
Anonymous said…
bsOH POOH! I forgot to put my name. The above post is by me!!

-Charlene
Anonymous said…
I am about to give up here, but I just wanted to clarify that I didn't add that bs at the beginning and don't know where it came from. Didn't want you to think I was cussing or something.
-Charlene
Anonymous said…
Gotta say I love it! She's going to be one happy camper from now on in that department. :o)

- Debbie Stewart
Rochelle said…
Uggh, This brings back memories of being in the same predicament as Caroline. You are a great Mom to help her find such a solution!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,