Skip to main content

Fridge on the Fritz

I came home in a rush today, all out of sync with my routine schedule. Because of a field trip with Brainy Boy on Friday, I missed my regular Friday grocery shopping. We were able to limp through the weekend with the groceries I had on hand, but by today we were 'food-poor'. So between kickboxing and an after-lunch PTA meeting, I jetted to Super Walmart to buy the staples to get us through until Friday rolls around again.

Not wanting to leave the groceries in the car through our summer-like afternoon, I zipped into the house to fling the cold stuff into the refrigerator. Being in such a hurry to get the kids from school in time for Brownie Scouts, I didn't give more than a cursory glance inside. Didn't notice anything. Nada. Nuttin'. Zip.

When we returned from our various afternoon stops, I proceeded to make dinner. I did notice that the chicken I took out of the refrigerator seemed curiously room-temp. And then I noticed that the cheese had that left-out-on-the-counter-on-a-warm-summer-afternoon stickiness even though it too had just come out of the refrigerator. A quick check into the abyss revealed the light on but that weird smell refrigerators have when they have been unplugged for, say, a day or two. A confirmation of the freezer indicated the same thing--everything totally and completely thawed, but cool. Lucky for me, being in the food-poor state we were, I didn't have an overabundance of food to toss.

My first remedy was to check the temperature adjusters for the freezer and refrigerator. I immediately slid them to the coolest setting for both. Miraculously the freezer began humming away, but a check about half an hour later revealed 'lights on, but nobody home'. I began wiggling the plug as well as sliding the dials back and forth a few times, and somehow the motor began humming again. At this point, I haven't decided if it was a fluke and somebody switched the temperature gauges or if our refrigerator is indeed cutting in and out.

By tomorrow morning, I'll know for sure what I'm getting for Mother's Day if this thing is still acting up. AND I'll be taking my kids out to eat tomorrow night while John is at fire training.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fingers crossed for you on this end. Hope all goes well overnight. You're one awesome trouble shooter.

- Debbie Stewart
Anonymous said…
I hate that "oops I think my refrigerator isn't working smell." Then comes the "hmmm should I throw it out or do I chance a fatal case of food poisoning. " If it turns out to be a Mother's Day present...pick a winner.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,